First time build, leaning towards FS17, should I reconsider the GV17, OD18, OB18, C17 or others?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
AustinBailer
New Poster
New Poster

First time build, leaning towards FS17, should I reconsider the GV17, OD18, OB18, C17 or others?

Post by AustinBailer »

First time builder, want something fairly straightforward and economical.

I feel like the typical answer to the question of what boat to build is "what do you need the boat to do?", which I find funny because unless you're a commercial fisherman or something, nobody needs a boat; it's a luxury item after all and I'd like as much capability as I can put together.

I live in the HTX/Galveston bay area so there's freshwater rivers, the Gulf of Mexico and everything in between- so I'll get use out of whatever I build, the question is how far out I can go out in different weather conditions, how many people I can bring, and how quickly I'll cover ground. If I had a solo skiff, I'd run further in creeks & flats than I care to Kayak. If I had I sport fishing yacht, I'd invite everyone I know and their dog to the oil rigs.

Economy and labor are fairly big drivers here, though I can't say how much time and money I'm willing to spend as I'll be building the boat out over time, maybe buying the bulk of the raw materials up front. That being said, I don't want to build a minimal boat just to realize that I could've had room for another person or two, or the ability to cross the bay safely for a little more time and money.

Most of the study plans for boats in this class just say that the hull "can be build in under 80 hours," so it's hard for me to judge how much marginal labor and $$$ would differentiate different designs and their various decking/seating arrangements.

My instinct is to stick with a bench seating FS17 so that I actually finish the thing, but feature creep sets in and in my mind it's only a little more effort to add, say a center console or other remote steering helm over a tiller setup.

My general use case is 2, maybe 3 people in fairly protected waters for fishing, sandbar hangouts and general cooler-emptying. Sitting, say 4 or 5 comfortably would be a bonus, as would offshore sea-worthiness. The FS17, with its Atlantic roots seems well respected as a small, capable boat, and the ability to hang a little tiller motor as small as 25HP makes it an attractive choice from an the economy standpoint, but again if a slightly more involved build will unlock more territory and crew comfort then it may be worth it.

PS I know "sea worthy" is subjective; I don't mind slowing down in a flatter boat than the FS17 as not to pound; my main concern is taking water over the bow and sides, which is why I'm also seriously considering the OD18

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: First time build, leaning towards FS17, should I reconsider the GV17, OD18, OB18, C17 or others?

Post by Matt Gent »

Planing 5 adults and their cooler to the sandbar will be a struggle with 25hp and anything short of a gheenoe, maybe a panga.

80 hours is an estimate for the hull only and is wildly optimistic relative to a finished boat. Look through most build threads here and figure on 2 years unless you have a lot of free time and discipline.

I'd figure on 50hp for what you want to do and then it's a sliding scale of build time vs capability. I'd want a V bottom for crossing bay chop. Garveys are a good value for versatility and fairly easy build if you dig the aesthetics. I used a similar hull (whaler Montauk knockoff) for years doing what you describe. The GV17 in particular looks to have less of a sharp entry than the smaller ones, it may pound too.

Among your list the C17 is the most capable and the FS17 is easier to build. Personally I'd pick the FS17 as a center console based on aesthetics and bottom design, or if feeling more ambitious the B&B Marissa. Put jump seats in the back corners for your friends on sandbar day.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: First time build, leaning towards FS17, should I reconsider the GV17, OD18, OB18, C17 or others?

Post by Fuzz »

A number of us have the OD18 and are well pleased with it. I think it would do most of what you want but so would a number of the other designs. All of the OD18s that I know of are way over built and much heavier than designed. CapeMan ran his for years with a 40hp 4-stroke. Mine weighs 1700# with a 50hp 4-stroke. it will run mid 20s. That said the guys with 70hp seem to be much happier. I have run mine a lot with 1000# of people in it and it does fine with the weight.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I will be honest anything more than 3 will be crowded in the FS17 except for a cruise around. The OD18 is a bigger boat, both in width and length. It has two inches less draft letting you get into shallower water. Both will take about the same amount of time to build. Both will require you to slow down as the waves build the OD more, but it will get you home. While the FS17 will need a 50HP for your intended load the OD will be happy with a 60HP while a 70 is great it has a top speed in the upper 30's or at least mine does.

If most of your use is on days with waves under 3' then the OD would be my choice. If not, the FS would be better.

One last thought for me having been in both boats the FS17 is a small 17' boat while the OD18 is a large 18' boat.

Well good luck in your decision.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Duplicate.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Maybe not too helpful for you but I've noticed that the smallest boat I have is the one I use the most (LB22, Solo Skiff, Cheap Canoe).

Dougster

cape man

Post by cape man »

Love my OD18. All I'll say.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

"Nobody needs a boat".

Classic

People often ask me "Geez, how many boats do you need!?" And I always answer "none". I have.......a lot.

My .02: Consider building an sk14 first and then decide what you want for a "Bay boat". The sk14 will be quick and fun and give you an excellent feel for what it will take to build your ultimate boat, and be great for solo fishing the flats.

Good luck!

Jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

How many boats does one need? ...............At least one! :D
OK, in GB's case at least 4! 8O
I think the most interesting and satisfying thing about building a boat is that it is very personal!
I went against most conventions and my first boat build was large and complex and luckily, as it turns out, meets all of my current needs. I thought long and hard about the hull before committing, and I have no regrets as my build has exceeded all of my expectations.
I already had a smaller (12') "store bought" boat when I built my 22 footer! 8O My younger, fishing mate, son has his beady eyes on my now largely redundant small boat!
So I'm going to say, "Think long and hard about which design best suits your needs and build it"!

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

TomW1 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:07 am I will be honest anything more than 3 will be crowded in the FS17 except for a cruise around. The OD18 is a bigger boat, both in width and length. It has two inches less draft letting you get into shallower water. Both will take about the same amount of time to build. Both will require you to slow down as the waves build the OD more, but it will get you home. While the FS17 will need a 50HP for your intended load the OD will be happy with a 60HP while a 70 is great it has a top speed in the upper 30's or at least mine does.

If most of your use is on days with waves under 3' then the OD would be my choice. If not, the FS would be better.

One last thought for me having been in both boats the FS17 is a small 17' boat while the OD18 is a large 18' boat.

Well good luck in your decision.

Tom
We are pretty happy with 4 adults(plus 2 med dogs) in my FS17 for heading out to the beach through a choppy harbor, but going at a moderate pace, and it would be tight fishing. We are fine with 6 for a river cruise but it would be a wet ride with that many and any chop. That said mine is a very heavy raised sheer and sole with 60hp, so it's a very overbuilt FS17.