First time build, leaning towards FS17, should I reconsider the GV17, OD18, OB18, C17 or others?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
AustinBailer
New Poster
New Poster

Re: First time build, leaning towards FS17, should I reconsider the GV17, OD18, OB18, C17 or others?

Post by AustinBailer »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:26 pm My .02: Consider building an sk14 first and then decide what you want for a "Bay boat". The sk14 will be quick and fun and give you an excellent feel for what it will take to build your ultimate boat, and be great for solo fishing the flats.
The SK14 is a really neat little skiff, and despite my comment about marginal utility, it would be hard for me to justify building a solo skiff since I already have a kayak. I like the flats boats, and despite their limited scope of operation I'd consider one, but it would be a a 17 footer or so that can fish 2 adults.

Also, with where I live, getting to the real flats means crossing the bay or trailering out to a further launch, and with a true flats boat it'd be the latter.

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: First time build, leaning towards FS17, should I reconsider the GV17, OD18, OB18, C17 or others?

Post by Rmarsh »

The C17 that I built as a center console, has enough room to seat four people comfortably for an all day excursion... or fishing.....you could squeeze in another one or two for a short transport to the sandbar.
It has a higher sides than the others and a motorwell bulkhead that keeps any water that may come over the transom in out of the cockpit....makes it a drier ride when we encounter rough water.
I have a 60 hp on it and never felt it wasnt enough power. The build time may be slightly longer than some of the others.....but worth it imo.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Rmarch that is very true, but he won't be able to fish the flats that he wants to. The draft of the C17 at 8" is even more than the FS17.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Most flats boats realistically draft 7-10” anyways.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Matt if you look at Jacques flats boats, the XF20, FS18, LM18, and even the PH18 all are 6" or under with XF20 at 2", the FS18 at 3.5", the LM18 at 3" and the PH18 at 6" for there DWL. Builders have reported those or just a bit more draft in their reports but nothing like 7-10". Remember these are poling skiffs and most use a trolling motor to get shallow water if not using a pole.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

My comment still stands.

My DE25 floats in 12" with a 6" keel and I could fish many flats with it if I cared to.

A couple inches draft difference matters only in a few use cases /geographic areas and is more of a bragging topic than anything. OP wants a multi-purpose boat.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:09 pm Matt if you look at Jacques flats boats, the XF20, FS18, LM18, and even the PH18 all are 6" or under with XF20 at 2", the FS18 at 3.5", the LM18 at 3" and the PH18 at 6" for there DWL. Builders have reported those or just a bit more draft in their reports but nothing like 7-10". Remember these are poling skiffs and most use a trolling motor to get shallow water if not using a pole.

Tom
Most flats boats are not Jacques' designs. Matt's figures are a better representation of flats boats. His boat is not though! :lol:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

AustinBailleer despite our bantering here I would still go with the FS17 or OD18 for your overall needs, either will get you to all but the extreme flats. Whatever you do make sure it is the boat that you will use as it will take a year or two to build and hard cash to spend on it.

Good luck to you :D

Tom