LB26 Questions

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

LB26 Questions

Post by Jeff »

These questions arrived overnight: "Dear people, Long time I am already looking at the LB26 with plans to build it. An other idea for quite some time is to build it with electric propulsion. With my experience with some Chinese batterie and EV conversion kit suppliers I think the time is ripe. Can we communicate by regular email to discus this topic deeper?
I need by example CE for EU to make it sellable as well I have some questions if we can extend the length a bit as well the beam. Is that easy possible? Like with 25%? (10 x 3,3)
Also interior I think the berths are quite short. To sleep easy for the weekend 2m long berths are required. That require cabin length extending. That of course we can easy do self although it might be that you have off the shelf solutions?
You have some study plans that show examples of the drawings that come with the plan? Is there a real-size drawing for the bulkheads and frames? etc.
Maybe many questions for which you have a standard info pack. Important is to know that we want to do it all commercial way and not as hobby or private. Your design looks amazing and the cost is compared to a local designer starting from scratch very interesting. Let's say that starting from scratch with a local design will kill the project by pricing. Only affordable for the happy few. We like to build something more affordable, future proof(EV) but still with smashing looks and fun.
Hope to hear from you soon. Cheers and best regards, William" Jeff

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: LB26 Questions

Post by fallguy1000 »

Not an electric engine vessel.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Electric alone no, a hybrid electric system is possible. We just had this discussion on another post here. All of Jacques designs can be expanded by 10% in all directions, and it is best if they are done so. Any more requires a total redesign of the boat. A question why do you need to lengthen the berths, the study plans say they are 2 meters long already.

No e-mails set up an account on here that way all of the guys who have built boats can help you, including LB26 builders. When setting up an account make sure you put your location in by country at least. One last thing Jacques boats are ABYC approved and very close to CEE regs, and a home-built boat in Europe does not need to meet them. Hundreds of these plans have been built in Europe without problems. If you look at the bottom of the study plans under Standards Jacques addresses this.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The LB26 is not really even a good design for hybrid because the boat is not designed to run at displacement speeds. The reason the TW28 is suitable is because is is not a planing hull. Running a diesel-electric setup in this boat is impractical. The numbers of batteries would be enormous to get her on plane and keep her on plane and then the diesel generator would run the entire time to keep up. If you can find me a real world example of a 26' electric planing monohull with a superstructure; please do.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

First hot on google https://www.boatinternational.com/virtu ... id-package

The idea with these things is that you run low speed/hi torque (docking/trolling/fish capture) on electric but use the diesel for speed/distance. Reality is that you could do speed on the electric it you’ll need to run the diesel as a pure generator.

There ar a lot of high speed ferries that operate use of that exact method.

I would also suggest that our US experience is well behind the EU and Asian technology at this point. Make sure we are clear that “we don’t see it here” because other countries are way ahead of us in this space.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:46 am First hot on google https://www.boatinternational.com/virtu ... id-package

The idea with these things is that you run low speed/hi torque (docking/trolling/fish capture) on electric but use the diesel for speed/distance. Reality is that you could do speed on the electric it you’ll need to run the diesel as a pure generator.

There ar a lot of high speed ferries that operate use of that exact method.

I would also suggest that our US experience is well behind the EU and Asian technology at this point. Make sure we are clear that “we don’t see it here” because other countries are way ahead of us in this space.
I wonder what that costs. I'd put money on +$100,000 for the engines and supporting infrastructure maybe more. David Halliday is building one of these in a displacement cat with two Tesla batteries and he told me the guy is basically throwing money at it nonstop.

I still haven't seen it in a 26' planing boat. By the time you add batteries; available displacement is used up.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

About 15 years ago, there was a story in Professional Boat Builder about a boat very similar to the LB26 with electric propulsion. Two years later, there was an article about refitting that same boat with diesels. The electric motors and batteries were very expensive and did not perform well at all.
Electric propulsion will mature one day but right now, there are still a lot of problems in particular with batteries and charging.
If some one wants an electric LB26, please start by contacting an electric motor manufacturer, follow his directions for batteries and charging. In other words, start with the propulsion system and once that is clear, I will help with the boat design part. And check the cost, be realistic.
At this point in time, I don't believe it makes sense financially or ecologically despite all the feel good publicity.

About scaling, what others have said is correct.

About professional building in the EEC, it has been done but the plans must go through a certification agency. This will cost you about $ 5,000.00.It requires a lot of tedious form filling and some very minor adjustments. Let that certification company do the work, they are used to it.
Boats built by amateurs in Europe do NOT require certification: max. 5 boats and no resale within 6 months.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Here is the Hybrid system I was referring to it is European company named Torqueedo and has an inboard with a 134.5HP equivalent motor. That according to Jacques chart would give the LB26 a top speed of 24mph give or take. The system shown is for a catamaran but read the introduction and it states it is for power boats also and further reading does not need a dual system. They show a single system elsewhere. https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/produ ... rid-drives I am sure that since he is in Europe, he can find other systems.

The only problem I see is fitting in all the gear required. One battery is 278kg or 613lbs and you can add up to 12, one is good for 50 miles before the generator kicks in to recharge it and drive the boat. Then all the controllers and other gear.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978