Stanchion set screws..

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Stanchion set screws..

Post by fallguy1000 »

So, I have about 20 stanchions.

Some of them came with these obtrusive set screws which are about 1/4" out. I reckon I'll need to find shorter ones. Touche'.

Does anyone know if I am supposed to drill a hole for these?
image.jpg
image.jpg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Stanchion set screws..

Post by piperdown »

You mean on the stanchion itself? If so, when I've used set screws, the part either has a dimple or instructions to make a dimple. I've used machinist marking paint/grease on the end of the set screw to mark where the dimple goes and then use a punch to make the dimple.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

piperdown wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:16 pm You mean on the stanchion itself? If so, when I've used set screws, the part either has a dimple or instructions to make a dimple. I've used machinist marking paint/grease on the end of the set screw to mark where the dimple goes and then use a punch to make the dimple.
Thank you Eric. Much ..

Loc-tite?

Yellow, red?

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:17 pm
piperdown wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:16 pm You mean on the stanchion itself? If so, when I've used set screws, the part either has a dimple or instructions to make a dimple. I've used machinist marking paint/grease on the end of the set screw to mark where the dimple goes and then use a punch to make the dimple.
Thank you Eric. Much ..

Loc-tite?

Yellow, red?
That depends.......
Do you foresee a situation where you'd need to remove the stanchion down the road? If the answer is no, then I'd use red. If you do need to remove the stanchion at some point then I'd use blue.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Do you suppose they can't get the right length screws?
image.jpg

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:36 pm Do you suppose they can't get the right length screws?
I may be too quick to assume the manufacturers have a grand design and know what they're doing, but to me it looks like they made the screws long enough to fit in holes in the stanchions. I'd try contacting them to see if they'll clarify their intent, especially since it's a safety thing. I do see the ends of the screws are pointed, whatever that would indicate. Seems like if they just fit into dimples that there'd be a lot of screw still sticking out, and would be a place for things to catch on.

My vote would be for the blue thread locker, btw, it will hold well enough. If a stanchion gets bent you may want to replace it.
Hank