CK17 build thread

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: CK17 build thread

Post by string1824 »

Had to take apart what I had done because I couldn't get the sides fair with the assembly up on the platform. I ended up attaching risers to the bulkheads and setting those risers on the garage floor so the hull rocker shape could form unubstructed. hopefully I will be able to tab the hull bottom on today. I only have a few more days of home time before I go on the road for 4 weeks

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

That looks perfect from here :D

string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by string1824 »

Got the hull bottom welded to the hull sides but ran out of time to go any further. Will be on the road for the next 4 weeks before I am able to get back on the CK17

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice!! Jeff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

It's not possible to tell for sure from the photo, but it looks like you applied the peanut butter mixture directly to dry plywood. When you're gluing two pieces of ply together (and this goes double for edges) you need to apply a straight coat of epoxy to the wood first, then follow with the thickened epoxy mixture. The plywood will suck the epoxy into the fibers, so when you apply the thickened mix it will retain its strength. You may have done that, hard to tell.

You seem to be working neatly, which will save you trouble smoothing surfaces later. Nice to see another CK17 build!
Hank

string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by string1824 »

The surfaces were primed wit straight epoxy before the peanut butter was applied. Sorry for the long delay in updates. I was on the road for about 5 weeks, and then as soon as I got back I went on an 11 day cruise which turned into a 14 day cruise because Hurricane Ian made it impossible for the ship to return to port and a lot of yard cleanup from Ian to deal with when I made it back home.

I got the bow and transom seams glass taped, and have 2 layers of 1/4" x 1 1/2" spruce laminated for the rub rail glued in place. Will have a total of 4 layers laminated for the rub rail.

string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by string1824 »

Finished the 4 layers for the rubrail, ended up being about 1.25" thick. I ground the radius along the chine and then glassed them over with 2 layers of 12oz biaxial tape. Now I am getting ready to glass the hull. it will be one layer o f6oz cloth down the middle, and 6oz cloth overlapping the center by about 12 inches and going up the full side of the hull.

string1824
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by string1824 »

Outside of the hull is glassed in, ground reasonably smooth, skeg attached and glassed in and ground smooth. N ext step is to flip over and finish the inside. I didn't want to risk damaging the finish by fairing, priming and painting the outside while there was still so much to do on the inside.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I'll be the antagonist here... finish the bottom before the flip. You will mess it up more when you try to flip it at 3x the current weight.

That said, let your fair cure, get a good finish paint and it will be hard to mess up. Even if you do nick a spot, the good paints are easy to touch up.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.