Might build a HC16 or a Chenoa 16?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Might build a HC16 or a Chenoa 16?

Post by WouldWork »

Hello friends,

It’s been a while since I’ve been here, and I may be getting back into a build.

Here’s what I have done….

2010’ish I built the Cheap Canoe 14. I ended up selling it to a friend who is still using and loving it to this day.

A few years ago I finished a V12 dinghy in sailing version. Sold that to a different friend who has a plan to sand her back and give her a fresh new coat of everything.

After that I bought plans for one of the pontoon cats but unfortunately couldn’t get finance to build a big shed at the time so I had to shelve the idea as I didn’t have the space to build her.

This weekend I went on a 18 mile canoe adventure with another friend in a shop-bought 14 foot canoe - ‘Old Town Canoes’, the Saranac 146. We paddled to a brilliant camping ground, camped over night and paddled back in the morning. It was incredible. We had two of us in the boat and a further 200+ Lbs of gear and the Saranac handled it brilliantly. Very stable and tracked like an arrow.

So my question is this;

The study plans for either say they’ll take up to 500lbs, can I squeeze a little more in if needed?

They’re both going to be relatively easy to build and cost about the same so I just want to know if either is better than the other with a full cargo load? I’ll be putting comfortable seats with backrests in the boat as I think that’s necessary for really long trips so is either boat going to prefer a heavier and possibly higher comfort seat?

Hope you’re all doing well, I look forward to being active on the forum again.

Cam.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Might build a HC16 or a Chenoa 16?

Post by narfi »

Ive had over 500lbs in my hc14 built heavy, so I'm sure the 16 will handle it no problem!!!

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

Excellent! HC16 it is.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

After mulling over the different canoes for 2 weeks my 12 year old son joined in the discussion and together we’ve decided to build a D5 Dinghy and we’ll put a small electric outboard on her and the kids can have a boat of their own.

I’ve bought the plans, ordered the epoxy and glass and picking up the ply on Friday.

Shall start a build thread on Friday after we’ve marked and cut the panels.

Cheers

Cam.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy