Adding a swim platform on the Trawler 28 (tw28)

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Adding a swim platform on the Trawler 28 (tw28)

Post by MageDK »

I am starting to lay out a project plan for my build of the trawler 28 and I plan on following the designs for the most part. One thing I was thinking of changing was to add a small swim platform on the back of the boat. The whole length of the transom, but only about 2-3 feet out. Just something to make it easy to get in and out of the dingy and have a ladder on the back to get in and out of the water easier.

My question is this. What would be the best way to add that? What step in the build do I add it?
Check out my Trawler 28 build viewtopic.php?t=66261.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Adding a swim platform on the Trawler 28 (tw28)

Post by fallguy1000 »

You have to decide if the swim ladder is integral or detachable.

If integral, then you want to add it before or after fairing the transom, but before paint.

If bolt on, then you need to build the cleats and fair them before paint. Fabrication of a bolt on, teak platform can take a long time. So, you would start it as soon as the cleats were added.

I've not done one. I've seen a couple different ones done online by others and discussed ways I've seen them done.

A fella on boatdesign.net made a bolt on unit all fiberglass, with only a limited foam core.

I'd recommend building it in M200 or M100 foam core with M200 inserts for the bolting.

It would be light and strong with something like a triaxial glass each side with the long strands out.

If you want a ladder that stows in the platform; you need to build a housing. Also, easiest to use say m200 for any bolting.

Then for the distance out, 3' is pushing it, you only need 2' to lay in the sun on it.

Then you need stainless angled struts for the bottom made from 316. They should be mounted on high density foam core pads as well to avoid penetrations into the transom below the waterline.

Any design should make it so the platform gets hit and it fails without holing the boat below the waterline.

Les is doing a great job on the LB26 build going on right now with a simple platform. Not sure what his ladder plans are....
Last edited by fallguy1000 on Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I agree with fallguy most swim platforms are 24" or even a little under, but on the TW28 the 24" would look good. Make sure you build attachment pads where you are attaching it to the hull as it will be taking a lot of water on it at times. Also allow for drainage through it with spacing holes. For some ideas go search Boat Swim Plat forms. It will give you some ideas of teak and foam fiberglass swim platforms and also some custom builders.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MageDK »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:40 pm I agree with fallguy most swim platforms are 24" or even a little under, but on the TW28 the 24" would look good. Make sure you build attachment pads where you are attaching it to the hull as it will be taking a lot of water on it at times. Also allow for drainage through it with spacing holes. For some ideas go search Boat Swim Plat forms. It will give you some ideas of teak and foam fiberglass swim platforms and also some custom builders.

Tom
Can you provide a little more detail on what you mean by attachment pads? How do they work.

I was thinking of either fiberglassing the platform directly to the transom.

Or possible bolting it on to the transom and adding a metal backing plate on the outside and inside of the transom.

Im not sure what the best solution would be for this.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

It is very common for swim platforms to get hit or to back them into things. You do not want the swim platform to break the hull below the waterline, so when designing the platform; you want to make it so it can break without holing the boat and sinking it.

This concept is somewhat mute for boats designed with positive flotation, but still wise, because who wants their boat damaged by the swim platform? And you get the benefit of no hull penetrations below water. This is a plus in all boats; more in plywood.

So, you can add pads or cleats around the boat. Typically, use a high density foam core like m200. I am not going into great detail unless you have a hull built. You can go look at the LB26 thread. Les has done a nice job on one.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MageDK »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:50 am It is very common for swim platforms to get hit or to back them into things. You do not want the swim platform to break the hull below the waterline, so when designing the platform; you want to make it so it can break without holing the boat and sinking it.

This concept is somewhat mute for boats designed with positive flotation, but still wise, because who wants their boat damaged by the swim platform? And you get the benefit of no hull penetrations below water. This is a plus in all boats; more in plywood.

So, you can add pads or cleats around the boat. Typically, use a high density foam core like m200. I am not going into great detail unless you have a hull built. You can go look at the LB26 thread. Les has done a nice job on one.
that is a very good point. I didn't even think of that. I will look at the LB26 thread. thanks!