Heat Shield ideas

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Heat Shield ideas

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy, I'm late to the conversation but a 1" standoff with an air space all around would be my recommendation. L Get a thick enough piece to stand on its own 1/8 to 1/4 to act as a heat sink. I would actually be worried about the cabinet over the stove as heat rises and put the heat shield there or in both places.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I would think that an angle would help as it will encourage a minimum of air flow. If you want to be “aggressive” consider a 1/4” longer standoff in the back.

Given the low softening point you should probably test the temp of the steel after 30min exposure to “hi” heat at the expected distance (limit air circ to mimic the galley space around the stove). Make sure you test the back side of the steel. It will be cooler than the front side. If you’re getting 230 then you may need to go double plates or forced venting.

Tom’s suggestions may help. With that low a temp I’m not sure thicker will help too much. Once the plate heats to 230 you’ll have issues.

Alternatively… stick a piece of ply on the bottom of the cabinet. It conducts way less heat than metal and would let you use thinner and closer plate. 1/4” ply would be fine.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy looking at your stove picture again I would not be to worried about the back wall at all. There is plenty of space for air to circulate between it and the stove to keep it cool. My concern would be the upper cabinet. When you get the stove installed put a pot on each burner one with canola oil and one with water, bring the oil to 375 and the water to boiling and measure temps at both areas. That will give you the places you need to shield. Lean a piece of ply against the back wall and tape a piece over the stove to protect your cabinets during this 15min short test.

Another suggestion if your kitchen is on an outside wall or the overhead is open to the outside is to vent the heat outside. Also, the smells. I looked there are many types of vent fans you will just need to look and find one that fits your space and situation.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Hard to tell how far the stove sets under the cabinet but if you need a heat deflector, Jaysen's idea is the best bet. The idea is to not let the heat ever reach the surface of the cabinet. The air gap Jaysen is talking about, if deflector is angled correctly, will pull cool air into the gap per Bernoulli's principle. Heated air is also high pressure, which when it hits the deflector/shield it is directed outward away from the cabinet. The high pressure will cause lower pressure on the upper side of the deflector and push the cooler air into the gap. The only place you would need to be concerned is where the shield contacts the cabinet. The shield needs to go under the cabinet far enough so none of the heated air is sucked in the back side of it and that goes for being wide enough too. The metal doesn't need to be very thick, just able to withstand the heat, which if done correctly will not be that much.

You can use a candle and aluminum foil to experiment with what would be the best angle and air gap. Tape a temp probe to your cabinet to see how effective it all is.

A metal fabricating shop should have a strong enough brake to bend metal for you.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Good on you for keeping after this.. I did not light a fire on my cooktop all year.

I wanted to reduce my propane tanks to one with all the weight issues forward and that is some fancy engineering to make a new tank base to support the regulator and solenoid and make some kind of tank support and holder.

Then the heat shield is unresolved. I bought more steel, but same issue...so heavy, want to rip it out and change to plywood, but it would probably scorch...ugh.

Went sturgeon fishing in September and wife came with and couldn't even make coffee. Serious deficit. She may leave the marriage, but hasn't said so. Maybe if I get it working, she'll stay.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy remember your pots and pans will also serve as the first heat shield. Then the metal piece that you need will only need to be maybe 14 gauge I would place it two inches under the cabinet on standoffs you should be able to find at a hardware store or fireplace shop. No need to get fancy and slant it the airflow coming in the cooler back will propel the hot ais out the front. Make it 2" wider at the front and 3-4" at the back and sides. Regards hope you get it solved soon.

Tom

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:23 pm fallguy remember your pots and pans will also serve as the first heat shield. Then the metal piece that you need will only need to be maybe 14 gauge I would place it two inches under the cabinet on standoffs you should be able to find at a hardware store or fireplace shop. No need to get fancy and slant it the airflow coming in the cooler back will propel the hot ais out the front. Make it 2" wider at the front and 3-4" at the back and sides. Regards hope you get it solved soon.

Tom
The back wall gets too hot to touch and is just 12mm foam board with db1700 glass and epoxy and paint. This was the reason I never ran the stove.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I am guessing you do not want to vent outside so buy a ductless, 12Volt RV hood vent. Easy to install and provides more lighting.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne