Heat Shield ideas

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Heat Shield ideas

Post by fallguy1000 »

915E52C6-C70C-40ED-9509-CFD9D6E19325.jpeg
Any ideas on how to keep my starboard plastic cabinets from melting? Wow, do they get hot quick.

16" away

Don't say cut out my bottom middle cabinet!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Heat Shield ideas

Post by jonnymac »

one of those under cabinet vent hoods.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Bent stainless on 1/4” standoffs is the norm. Generally don’t see plastic over the stove though. Normally ply/glass or metal.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:01 pm Bent stainless on 1/4” standoffs is the norm. Generally don’t see plastic over the stove though. Normally ply/glass or metal.
I want it to be wood, but no time to change. Probably only gonna make coffee on the boat.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

If you use the SS sheet (20-18g) you can make it look good as well. The 1/4” gap allows solid air flow. The standoffs are available at any hardware store.

You can save a couple bucks and use aluminum but I think you’ll need 16ga. Lager gauges won’t hurt either, but it is significantly harder to bend SS.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:22 pm If you use the SS sheet (20-18g) you can make it look good as well. The 1/4” gap allows solid air flow. The standoffs are available at any hardware store.

You can save a couple bucks and use aluminum but I think you’ll need 16ga. Lager gauges won’t hurt either, but it is significantly harder to bend SS.
I have some 11 ga 316 ss, but can't bend it. I can stand it off with metal washers, but they might get hot as would a #8 stainless screw..maybe not of places on the ends, but would too thick stainless jist get hotter than hades, too?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I’d recommend getting standoffs from your local hardware store. I’d get 1/4” and 1/2” and play with the spacing a bit. You might even wind up with the back using longer standoffs than the front.

The shield won’t get “hot” unless you are flaming it directly. It will get warm but the air will add the extra insulation to keep the cabinets safe. The shield basically acts as a heat dump so a thicker shield should work better.

If you have the 11ga give it a try. The o love you point to lighter gauge is bending the shield to a shape for aesthetics. You can use the heavy gauge to get spacing and functionality down the use lighter gauge if you need to fix the looks for the boss.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Someone on another forum told me I need a 1-2" gap.

Thoughts?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

If it’s just the stove top, that would be excessive. You’re just sinking the heat from the real-time use. I just made breakfast for me and the Mrs. 30min of boiling water. Max temp is 230F. If you’re frying eggs… 350 for 15min (including bacon). 11ga can sink that.

More space won’t hurt but 1” is silly for the limited use. If you use the standoffs (they screw in on both sides) it’s easy to change the separation.

Thought. Set up the stove off the boat. set the shield at the expected distance and angle. Make a meal and measure the back of the shield at multiple points during the cooking.

What temps can your cabinets handle?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

https://www.kingplastic.com/products/king-starboard/

Not sure how to interpret, but looks like it melts ez.

Ugh

Softens at 253F. That'd happen no heat shield for sure.

So. Do you think the heat shield needs an angle up and out?