My cheap Canoe Build 1st timer

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: My cheap Canoe Build 1st timer

Post by Dougster »

Both... :) They don't touch. Put spacers, like a nail every few feet or something and put little inch lond segments of pvc behind them at the zip tie points. The panels abut each other with a bit of space between them. Fish around here and you'll see pics of panels zip tied together with spacers.

Dougster

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Spacers make a huge difference. Especially as you are building without a jig. If they do unavoidably touch somewhere, and you can't get an even gap by joggling or restitching then use a jigsaw or something and make a little gap.

Midwestfields
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Midwestfields »

I have seen that use of pvc spacers and nails. Thanks you guys have been very helpful. Now it looks like I got some stiches to cut and redo 🙂

Midwestfields
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Midwestfields »

Finally got time to tab in-between the stiches. I used epoxy & wood flour mixed to a peanut butter consistency and spread it with a large popsicle / craft stick. I got it done but I will have to come back and sand and finish the fillet out and put down the tape at another time.
Attachments
20220816_180756.jpg

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Looks fine, but you might have used more than you needed too. I did that too and learned the hard way with a day of sanding. I use the bare minimum now, until I can get the stitches out. Never mind, not a real drama.

Midwestfields
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Midwestfields »

Ya looks like I'm learning the hard way as well. 🙂 I like the failure it shows me what not to do next time. On another note I bought a new to me boat this weekend. Guess I won't be building any big boats for awhile but I do plan on more canoes and kayaks stich and glue.
Attachments
20220821_141638_HDR~2.jpg

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Very shiny!!!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Wow a top-notch boat there. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978