Page 1 of 1

My cheap Canoe Build 1st timer

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:57 am
by Midwestfields
Hello all,

My name is Rob and would just like to introduce myself to the group. I have been lurking and reading these forums for a long time. Watched Cracker Larry build all his boats and everyone else that has as well. I really appreciate everyone of the builders who took the time to make a thorough build thread with pictures and all of the great information and walkthroughs]. So with that all being said I am finally going to get my feet wet and build a Cheap Canoe to learn on . This is going to be a dirty build so don't be to hard on me with my choices of product lol. If I end up liking the building process and the outcome I'll step up my game with the proper epoxy and wood ect. So I laid out my plywood and cut the parts out last night and today I will be gluing the butt blocks on to make the full length sides and bottom. I have pictures but I'm not sure how to load them

Re: My cheap Canoe Build 1st timer

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:34 am
by mhd
Welcome Rob. It is great to read and learn, but a bit difficult to build your own boat unless you actually aquire some materials and make a start - well done for taking the first step. :D

Lots of good advice on here, but also don't be scared of making your own mistakes and learning from therm. Everything can be fixed or rebuilt if you screw up. Trust yourself, but keep the sander close by too...

I look forward to reading your build comments and seeing some pics.

Cheers,

Mick

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:36 am
by Jeff
Welcome Rob!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:02 am
by Dougster
You'll love this little canoe. I built one of leftover ply from a bigger build. A search of "scrap ply cheap canoe" will find my brief thread. I use it more than my two bigger builds 'cuz it's so easy to take out for a couple of hours.

Dougster

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:04 am
by fallguy1000
Adding pictures...in pictures..

Look for the attachments tab.
7C8C3FBC-8BEE-40E4-9206-21AF2C6641FC.png

Press it and look for the add file button and press it.
4E864B9A-F6FB-4DA4-9333-23A5F5C88D57.png

Add a file from camera or folder or photos.
8F75F5B9-0F1E-4F60-929C-34130FD22A44.png

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:59 pm
by Midwestfields
Thanks 😀 I got it.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:25 pm
by Midwestfields
Glueing the butt blocks on. Does it effect the epoxy if my sweat drips on it when I'm working ugh it's so hot and humid in my area.(Festus Missouri outside St Louis). Is there an amount of pressure or weight to glue these butt blocks on. I just used full paint cans.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:28 pm
by fallguy1000
Are you thickening the resin?

2-4 psi is okay

Sweat hurts nothin.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:46 pm
by Midwestfields
Ya I am thickening the resin with wood flour

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:48 pm
by Midwestfields
Thanks for the help. Does anyone know if I should do duct tape or stiches when I assemble? I've heard mixed reviews on duct tape

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:57 pm
by TomW1
Midwestfields wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:48 pm Thanks for the help. Does anyone know if I should do duct tape or stiches when I assemble? I've heard mixed reviews on duct tape
Try not to get to get sweat on the fresh epoxy as it will dilute and weaken it. Tom

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:00 pm
by OrangeQuest
Gluing the butt blocks on. Does it effect the epoxy if my sweat drips on it when I'm working ugh it's so hot and humid in my area.
There is a fan in the background, it will help keep some of the sweat from forming. I like to do epoxy work and most sanding, this time of the year in the early hours of the day while the temps are still in the two digits. Then wear just swim trunks and every so often stand under the outdoor shower, then in front of my 32" drum fan.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:00 am
by Dougster
Duct tape won't hold the panels through the bends---gotta stitch. Most folks use zip ties. Duct tape or for me packing tape is used after it's finished being stiched up and ready for tagging panels together with thickened epoxy in between the zip ties. The tape is put on the back of the panel seams so epoxy doesn't ooze through and create fairing headaches.

Dougster

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:13 am
by OneWayTraffic
With small boats it's common to glue the inside first.

Prime the wood with neat epoxy on a brush, just enough to get into the edge grain. Then thickened epoxy. This should be thickened enough to be somewhere around peanut butter consistency. The neat epoxy priming will grab onto it fine. If you did not prime the wood it will be a weaker bond: not great.

Then just enough epoxy putty between the stitches to tack it together. Do not try and get a full size fillet in, just enough to hold the panels together. I use the rounded edge of an iceblock stick. Keep well clear of the stitches.

Give it 24 hours to set up (24 hours is great as the epoxy will bond to itself well even if you don't sand thoroughly) then remove stitches roughen up the epoxy with a bit of 80grit sandpaper. Go over the whole length with a fresh fillet. Give this one a little time to stiffen up, then paint neat epoxy over and add glass. The neat epoxy should soak up through the glass over a few minutes. Brush a little more on dry spots and let set. You can fill the weave with some fairing mix before it fully sets, but after a few hours without preparation.

If you do the inside first drip throughs are easily ground off with a flap disk.

My D5 build has a great example of how not to do it, but I got it in the end.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:47 am
by Midwestfields
Thanks for the help I appreciate it very much. Doug I read your build of lemonaid if that's what u ended up naming her. It really turned out great 👍. Let me ask u how close were your stiches to edge of wood and apart? and what size holes did you drill for them. I tried some small zip ties I had but they kept breaking. So I used some Larger black zip ties I got from harbor freight that will work.

Doug the spacer spreader that is called for middle did you angle it to match the side panels it seems to want to pull out the screw I used when the panel's bend towards the bottom

Oneway traffic thanks for the info. Question do I let the neat prime epoxy dry before I use the thickened epoxy?

Guys how much space should be left between panels or should they be cinched together? Or is it that critical on a small cheap Canoe?

And just a side note I'm buying an ac unit for the garage 😀

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:11 am
by Dougster
Don't remember how I handled the spacer, but am sure i didn't use screws. Just clamped in somehow so it couldn't pop up. Zip ties were every 6" - 8" or so untill the bow then every one or two inches to pull it up. Takes some convincing to get close.

Dougster

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:42 am
by OneWayTraffic
Apply the putty at any stage after the prime coat but before full cure if possible. Think of epoxy sinking into the wood then chemically bonding with the putty. So it all becomes one entangled molecule.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:30 am
by Midwestfields
Thanks guys , I didn't get a chance to work on the boat this weekend had a concert to go to. Dougster did I screw up by using a screw at the top of the sheer for that spacer?

Ill try to get a chance this week to finish up stiching it together.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:44 am
by Dougster
No screw up, you can always take it out. The only thing that matters is getting the panels to lay fair. Once they look good you can tack them in with epoxy and pull the screw(s). If they won't lay fair pull the screws and fiddle.

Dougster

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:51 am
by Midwestfields
Question does the bottom need to be under the sides or even with them at the Chine? If you understand what I'm trying to convey. _/

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:46 am
by Dougster
Both... :) They don't touch. Put spacers, like a nail every few feet or something and put little inch lond segments of pvc behind them at the zip tie points. The panels abut each other with a bit of space between them. Fish around here and you'll see pics of panels zip tied together with spacers.

Dougster

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:02 pm
by OneWayTraffic
Spacers make a huge difference. Especially as you are building without a jig. If they do unavoidably touch somewhere, and you can't get an even gap by joggling or restitching then use a jigsaw or something and make a little gap.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:58 am
by Midwestfields
I have seen that use of pvc spacers and nails. Thanks you guys have been very helpful. Now it looks like I got some stiches to cut and redo 🙂

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:14 pm
by Midwestfields
Finally got time to tab in-between the stiches. I used epoxy & wood flour mixed to a peanut butter consistency and spread it with a large popsicle / craft stick. I got it done but I will have to come back and sand and finish the fillet out and put down the tape at another time.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:41 am
by OneWayTraffic
Looks fine, but you might have used more than you needed too. I did that too and learned the hard way with a day of sanding. I use the bare minimum now, until I can get the stitches out. Never mind, not a real drama.

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:22 am
by Midwestfields
Ya looks like I'm learning the hard way as well. 🙂 I like the failure it shows me what not to do next time. On another note I bought a new to me boat this weekend. Guess I won't be building any big boats for awhile but I do plan on more canoes and kayaks stich and glue.

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:56 pm
by cape man
Very shiny!!!

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:21 pm
by TomW1
Wow a top-notch boat there. Tom