House build

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: House build

Post by fishgitr »

Ahh 12" on center you say! Yes there was a reason for that. I did that so each one of my battens would land on a stud. Over kill, I don't think so. I also did true 6" boards. I also found a discount store where I bought Simpson stud plates for 25 cents each. So I went every two foot with those, top and bottom on the inside. Also did these plates on the inside walls also. In addition to anchor bolts and bottom plate straps, I'm running a cable system every 4' that is in the concrete and bolts through the top plate.

Ahh onto the foundation, when they went to pour the foundation, I didn't see any rebar. They said oh code doesn't require it. I was oh well code at my house it does. Lol so I chose to go 4' grid pattern with 5/8 rebar..

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Good for you. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Travis, great job! I really like 12” on center, certainly very sturdy and a great idea. 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr »

Thanks AA! Man it would have been nice to have a couple of folks like you and seaslug! The true experts to help me! Never setting rafters before, 8:12 pitch, challenging to say the least!

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Dang it man, 8/12 pitch!!! That’s awesome! Keep posting, nice work.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Can you cook out the bugs?

Risky, but just curious.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cape man

Post by cape man »

And I thought your boat building skills were awesome!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Out of curiosity did the lumber get dried at all?
I watch a lot of off-grid youtube channels, always fun to watch.
8/12 pitch is the steepest I'm willing to get on anymore. The house we sold in KS was closer to 10/12 and one area was more like 12/12. Did not like getting up there anymore on my own.

You're doing a great job!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Fallguy , beetle larva is not always in rough cut lumber , but it is a problem here in the south , it,s a roll of the dice . After hurricane Fredrick one of my uncles bought his uncles small saw mill , there is no telling how much 1x and 2x we cut . People paid twice the amount for our rough cut -v- store bought , it,s stronger lumber . There are many products that can solve or reduce the chance of beetles , if the wood is not going to be exposed then something like Tim bore can be used , it has a green color , there maybe products without color . Years back I worked for a company that used Rough cut 1x4 for handrails , every time OSHA came on a job we had to drag out spec sheets to show the rough cut 1x4 was stronger than a store bought 2x4 . It was a large construction company and OSHA knew we used rough cut 1x4 , they pestered us to the point we stopped using the rough cut . Going from a 16" center to a 12" center is not adding that many studs or cost . We went to 12" centers Walls / Floor / Rafters on one of the houses my brother built on the beach , 3/4" sub floor and 3/4 rough cut pine flooring , it made a huge difference in his floor , has never lost more than a turbine in one of the many hurricanes it has weathered .

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr »

This wood was cut and has been air drying since December/Jan. Once it is fully dried in, I will spray chlorine on all of the interior to "clean" the wood. (It fades a little, so I want it new looking) then I bought a pesticide to spray on the wood for beetles, termites etc.