Page 1 of 1

House build

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:03 pm
by fishgitr
We started building may 20 this year. We have cut most of our lumber. It's a farmhouse style house. 2x6 framing on 1' centers, board and batten with a loft. It will eventually have a porch all the way around. We will be fully off grid with solar and all.
IMG_20220520_211430.jpg
IMG_20220504_135926_01.jpg
PXL_20220522_221834648.jpg
PXL_20220601_225510754.jpg
PXL_20220731_213913912.jpg
PXL_20220221_224613798.jpg

Re: House build

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:47 am
by cape man
Wow!

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:12 am
by fallguy1000
Whereabout?

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:19 am
by rick berrey
Wish we could use rough cut here in Alabama for structural lumber , it has to be kiln dried and stamped . Closest place for a stamp is Mississippi and cost / benefit didn't add up when I priced it out . I am going to have some long leaf and white oak milled out this fall for flooring and bead board , still below big box store cost .

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:17 am
by Jeff
Again, WOW!!! Great build!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:54 am
by fishgitr
Thanks y'all!

I asked our inspector multiple times if it was ok and he said yes. He said he'd prefer that bc of growth rings/ strength etc. What part of Alabama are you in? We have family over near Huntsville I believe. Drag the sawmill with us???

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:43 am
by rick berrey
I am in Mobile county . My understanding is that kiln drying kills out the beetle larva , so beetle infestation is the issue with rough cut . If you haven't closed up the walls yet i would look at a product like Bore Core and Termador . I think reduction of moisture content may also kill off the beetle larva , you might study up and rent a big dehue if thats the case . There is a guy around here that will bring his mill for $ 75 per hr ( last year ) 4hrs min . What I want to cut is too big for me to haul so I will have him butt cut or cut into 4" to 6" wide timber . There is a mill north of me that will cut , plane , and kiln dry , two years ago price was 99 cents per board foot . What ever my price ends up it will be cheaper than big box and better lumber .

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:36 pm
by TomW1
Great job! You sort of wasted your money with the 2x6's on the 1' spacing, 16" would have been plenty and 24" would have been okay per my architect friend. But now that it's done no going back. Maybe do your non-bearing inside walls on a wider spacing. Well, you have a tank of a house that will support all the solar panels you want, be they for hot water or electrical needs. Make sure you get the right size septic tank and use Rid-X monthly to have to keep it pumped very often. You might also want to consider a gray water tank if allowed for water from sinks and showers not containing poop and garbage.

I designed my own house also but did not have the skills you have to build it. Pretty proud of the of the electric bills <100 a month and propane one fill-up of a 500-gallon tank a year.

Continue on, you're doing a great job!

Tom

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:39 pm
by TomW1
Duplicate, just noticed, sorry. Tom

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:08 pm
by rick berrey
Tom he might be in a coastal area where exterior wall,s are not less than 16" spaced unless designed for greater spacing by professional , 2x6 stud or greater unless 2x4 is spec and designed by a professional . The great thing about milling rough cut lumber from your own land is it,s free other than the cost of the mill . Most houses on the coast are being over designed and built to some extent now .

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:39 pm
by fishgitr
Ahh 12" on center you say! Yes there was a reason for that. I did that so each one of my battens would land on a stud. Over kill, I don't think so. I also did true 6" boards. I also found a discount store where I bought Simpson stud plates for 25 cents each. So I went every two foot with those, top and bottom on the inside. Also did these plates on the inside walls also. In addition to anchor bolts and bottom plate straps, I'm running a cable system every 4' that is in the concrete and bolts through the top plate.

Ahh onto the foundation, when they went to pour the foundation, I didn't see any rebar. They said oh code doesn't require it. I was oh well code at my house it does. Lol so I chose to go 4' grid pattern with 5/8 rebar..

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:49 pm
by TomW1
Good for you. Tom

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:48 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Travis, great job! I really like 12” on center, certainly very sturdy and a great idea. 8)

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:58 pm
by fishgitr
Thanks AA! Man it would have been nice to have a couple of folks like you and seaslug! The true experts to help me! Never setting rafters before, 8:12 pitch, challenging to say the least!

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:10 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Dang it man, 8/12 pitch!!! That’s awesome! Keep posting, nice work.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:46 pm
by fallguy1000
Can you cook out the bugs?

Risky, but just curious.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:10 am
by cape man
And I thought your boat building skills were awesome!

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:09 am
by piperdown
Out of curiosity did the lumber get dried at all?
I watch a lot of off-grid youtube channels, always fun to watch.
8/12 pitch is the steepest I'm willing to get on anymore. The house we sold in KS was closer to 10/12 and one area was more like 12/12. Did not like getting up there anymore on my own.

You're doing a great job!

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:50 am
by rick berrey
Fallguy , beetle larva is not always in rough cut lumber , but it is a problem here in the south , it,s a roll of the dice . After hurricane Fredrick one of my uncles bought his uncles small saw mill , there is no telling how much 1x and 2x we cut . People paid twice the amount for our rough cut -v- store bought , it,s stronger lumber . There are many products that can solve or reduce the chance of beetles , if the wood is not going to be exposed then something like Tim bore can be used , it has a green color , there maybe products without color . Years back I worked for a company that used Rough cut 1x4 for handrails , every time OSHA came on a job we had to drag out spec sheets to show the rough cut 1x4 was stronger than a store bought 2x4 . It was a large construction company and OSHA knew we used rough cut 1x4 , they pestered us to the point we stopped using the rough cut . Going from a 16" center to a 12" center is not adding that many studs or cost . We went to 12" centers Walls / Floor / Rafters on one of the houses my brother built on the beach , 3/4" sub floor and 3/4 rough cut pine flooring , it made a huge difference in his floor , has never lost more than a turbine in one of the many hurricanes it has weathered .

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:21 am
by fishgitr
This wood was cut and has been air drying since December/Jan. Once it is fully dried in, I will spray chlorine on all of the interior to "clean" the wood. (It fades a little, so I want it new looking) then I bought a pesticide to spray on the wood for beetles, termites etc.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:56 pm
by Fuzz
fishgitr wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:39 pm Ahh onto the foundation, when they went to pour the foundation, I didn't see any rebar. They said oh code doesn't require it. I was oh well code at my house it does. Lol so I chose to go 4' grid pattern with 5/8 rebar..
You will never regret putting the extra iron in the slab. I put a lot of iron in my shop slab and 35 years later I have no cracking in a 40x60 slab.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:47 pm
by TomW1
Yep, you will never regret the rebar. Here in the mountains where it can get cold, I went with a 12" grid of 3/8" bar centered in the concrete. they come in panels of 4x8'. For the outside patio we added fiberglass fibers to the concrete mix. No cracks after 32 years. Tom

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:31 pm
by Rmarsh
Great Job!!!! I have been in the home building business for 49 years including building my own home at age 21......and I'll say again...Great Job!!

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:09 pm
by Aripeka Angler
A cylinder of Vicane and a tent wrap will eliminate any cooties once you complete the build.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:21 pm
by fishgitr
Thank you for the compliments!

AA is this something I can buy over the counter?

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:34 pm
by Aripeka Angler
fishgitr wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:21 pm Thank you for the compliments!

AA is this something I can buy over the counter?
Probably not, you’ll have to hire a professional. If you have a buddy in pest control he can hook you up.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:59 pm
by fishgitr
Ok, I'll check it out

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:54 am
by cape man
Totally agree with Richard and was going to post the same. Tent it and fumigate before you put anything in it. May set you back a bit, but the best way to make sure you get good penetration inside and out. Termador is a great treatment for carpenter ants and termites but won't get any beetles if they're in the wood.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:44 am
by fishgitr
Ok guys sounds good. I'll definitely do that then.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:55 pm
by rick berrey
Tenting and gas is mostly used for dry wood termites , it,s a one time shot with no future protection , and costly . Taurus is a generic Termidor for termites and beetles , $100 of chemical to treat the house for termites , $100 bucks of boric acid product such as boracare or timbor to spray the wood for beetles , Google and shop . Just make sure there is no dye in the boric acid product you use , they put dye in most so you can see that you didn't miss a spot .

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:42 pm
by TomW1
I would hire a professional to do the tenting and application of Vicane as Richard mentioned. It is very dangerous to handle, and I want to keep you around. :D I had the highest pesticide license that NC issued when I operated my nursery and would not handle Vicane. Get estimates from Orkin and Terminix or other pest controllers in your area that know what they are doing and have done it before. :D

Tom

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:49 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Yes, Vicane is expensive but it will annihilate anything above the slab. Beetles, worms, rats, termites, grubs, you name it. I got a house treated when I younger and the shit even killed hundreds of earthworms in my front planter where they tucked the tent in. Termidor and demon work well for subs…

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:05 pm
by rick berrey
The Termidor is labeled for beetles , fire ants and termites , years ago we had cloridane and lindane , both worked as barrier chemicals , one in dirt , one in wood , lindane was said to be so toxic to humans they just had to pull it off the market , you can only get it now in some lice shampoo . In Florida you do see dry wood termites infesting houses , they have to be tented and it will kill everything ,very rare to see a house infested here in South Alabama , you find them mostly in furniture that came out of Fl. While they say Termidor is a barrier chemical it was not developed as such , it acts like a virus and is passed multi colony . I am not sure how it works on beetles , I would use a Tim-bore type product for the wood treatment , but Termidor or Tarus can be used to treat both . By treating the wood with Termidor you will also get some termite protection once the termite enters a treated piece of wood .

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:43 am
by piperdown
rick berrey wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:05 pm The Termidor is labeled for beetles , fire ants and termites , years ago we had cloridane and lindane , both worked as barrier chemicals , one in dirt , one in wood , lindane was said to be so toxic to humans they just had to pull it off the market , you can only get it now in some lice shampoo . In Florida you do see dry wood termites infesting houses , they have to be tented and it will kill everything ,very rare to see a house infested here in South Alabama , you find them mostly in furniture that came out of Fl. While they say Termidor is a barrier chemical it was not developed as such , it acts like a virus and is passed multi colony . I am not sure how it works on beetles , I would use a Tim-bore type product for the wood treatment , but Termidor or Tarus can be used to treat both . By treating the wood with Termidor you will also get some termite protection once the termite enters a treated piece of wood .
Ah, cloridane! That was some good stuff. I remember back in 98 or 99 we were doing a cleanout of a football stadium and there were several 1 gallon containers. I didn't worry about brown recluse spiders or other insects for a long long time. All of EHS grabbed some to spray around the house.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:53 pm
by Aripeka Angler
We are giving advice to a guy who is building his own house from raw, self cut timber.
Keep in mind if you are living in a warm climate like Florida, you might even be getting bug cooties in your store bought wood.
Termites are a serious problem with imported plywood, mostly the stuff coming from China or Vietnam. I’ve also seen plenty of termites in domestic birch as well.
The termite situation is getting worse with the green building movement, the lack of formaldehyde and chemicals in the panel product allows termites to flourish.
We removed cabinets today from a multi million dollar house that were infested with termites. The cabinet core was China birch.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:04 pm
by fishgitr
Got the solar system installed. I amazed myself and it actually works. The trim and all is actually done, in this picture it isn't. That front picture is looking from the garden. I recently tilled up a 1/2 acre area.

IMG_20220928_215843.jpg
IMG_20220928_215842.jpg

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:47 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Nice work, might have to come by and check it out if it’s not too far from my place in Madison.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:49 pm
by Jeff
Very nice, congrats!!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:04 pm
by cape man
How many KWs in the solar?

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:44 pm
by TomW1
Very nice :D That will be a big garden to manage. You going raised beds, sort of looks like it there. Tom

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:05 pm
by fishgitr
Thanks y'all!

AA, I will give you a call later in the week.

Cape it's a 6kw system. So far, so good, knock on wood.

Tom, I made (20) 100' rows with the tractor. Turnips, collard, broccoli, beets, cabbage,

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:33 pm
by fishgitr
Started doing window casings today. This is still all of my rough cut lumber. We planed it down and joiner it.
PXL_20221009_235245781.jpg

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:36 pm
by fishgitr
Drywall
Screenshot_20221009-223523.png
Screenshot_20221009-223531.png

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:45 am
by Fuzz
I built 90% of my house myself. But when it came to the shitrock the closest I was going to get was my check book no matter what :help:

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:57 am
by Jeff
Really nice work fishgetr!!! Nice to see the baby in in the photo!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:04 pm
by TomW1
Really nice did my house in pine windows frames and all door frames the same. Came out looking sharp. Tom

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:01 pm
by fishgitr
Thanks y'all! I too paid to have sheetrock done. I did not want to mess with it. I'm not leaving the trim natural. It will be painted white.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:34 am
by fishgitr
We got the cabinets in. I built walnut countertops. My neighbor has a bunch of rough cut walnut that was milled around 1920 and I was able to get some of it from him.
PXL_20221020_031016805.jpg
PXL_20221020_030928367.jpg
PXL_20221020_030945492.jpg
PXL_20221020_030936668.jpg
IMG_20221019_233012_01.jpg

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:22 am
by cape man
Oh Hell yeah!! Nice!

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:47 am
by Jeff
Really nice!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:33 pm
by fishgitr
Where's Axe? Found him hiding in the cabinet.

PXL_20221020_162148551.jpg
PXL_20221020_162216689.jpg
PXL_20221020_162134034.jpg
PXL_20221020_162201499.jpg
PXL_20221020_162528288.jpg

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:44 pm
by Jeff
Really well done fishgitr!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:06 pm
by fishgitr
Thanks Jeff and Capeman!

I need to add a jointer to my collection. I had to make a jig for the table saw to flatten the edges. They came together nicely though.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:09 pm
by TomW1
Really nice, hope you coated both sides of that gorgeous walnut. Tom