Best way to run electrical wiring through my trawler 28 build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Best way to run electrical wiring through my trawler 28 build

Post by TomW1 »

mageDK are you serious about building the TW28 or not. If not quit wasting our time. Have you ever built one of Jacques smaller boats, so you know the stitch and glue process. I do not see you responding after we answer your questions': doh: Your very welcome here and welcome to ask all the questions you want as long as you have purchased the plans and are serious about building the TW28. It will be a huge commitment in both time and resources.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MageDK »

TomW1 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:22 pm mageDK are you serious about building the TW28 or not. If not quit wasting our time. Have you ever built one of Jacques smaller boats, so you know the stitch and glue process. I do not see you responding after we answer your questions': doh: Your very welcome here and welcome to ask all the questions you want as long as you have purchased the plans and are serious about building the TW28. It will be a huge commitment in both time and resources.

Tom
I was out of town for a few days so don't take it as such a negative if I don't respond right away. If you feel like your time is being wasted, then don't feel compelled to answer. I am serious about building the boat. I have purchased the plans and I am ordering the materials I need to start working on the Hull jig in the next week or two. I am also working on organizing a project plan from start to finish, so if I ask a few questions about steps down the road it's because I have some legitimate questions and I am spending a lot of time researching different methods for many different aspects of the build.

Thanks to everyone for all the information
Check out my Trawler 28 build viewtopic.php?t=66261.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

All good. We are here for you. It was just such a long term question that I reacted to. Sorry. I so want to see you build this boat!

Wiring is just almost the last thing and will totally be dependent on what you ultimately build . Promise not to be cruel again. 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yep, don't take my response as negative we will all be here for you as you build your boat. Start a thread down to post progress and post pictures in Builders Power Boats and ask your questions here and all will go be good. Tom and good luck.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

MageDK wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:59 pm
TomW1 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:22 pm mageDK are you serious about building the TW28 or not. If not quit wasting our time. Have you ever built one of Jacques smaller boats, so you know the stitch and glue process. I do not see you responding after we answer your questions': doh: Your very welcome here and welcome to ask all the questions you want as long as you have purchased the plans and are serious about building the TW28. It will be a huge commitment in both time and resources.

Tom
I was out of town for a few days so don't take it as such a negative if I don't respond right away. If you feel like your time is being wasted, then don't feel compelled to answer. I am serious about building the boat. I have purchased the plans and I am ordering the materials I need to start working on the Hull jig in the next week or two. I am also working on organizing a project plan from start to finish, so if I ask a few questions about steps down the road it's because I have some legitimate questions and I am spending a lot of time researching different methods for many different aspects of the build.

Thanks to everyone for all the information
MageDK, you have to realize that some of the members on here spend their time trolling this forum looking for questions that they can answer to prove just how much they know about the subject. They value that time so much they can't use to much of it to even review the questions being asked to give a correct answer at times. They value their own opinion so much that they will just tell someone else they are wrong without references or links to back it up and prove their own opinion. Don't let their narcissist behavior discourage you from posting questions.

Even though my little FS14 isn't the investment of time and money you will need to put into this size of boat, I asked thousands of questions before I even bought the plans, and I am still asking questions. I think before I screwed up my first account on here and started over, I was over 3000 posts and didn't have the first sheet of plywood yet. I am a what if person and I think some on here have bets on if my boat will even float once it's finished...I maybe one of them!

Most of the builders here are more than happy to answer questions and give you good references that you can find some of the answers yourself. At this point of your build, there are a lot more questions you don't even know to ask yet. There are a few books out there about marine wiring and other things needed to complete and finish a boat, you should look into buying a few of them and start studying. There is a used bookstore that you can pick up good, used books on marine subjects and they are maybe useful now and later on.
www.thriftbooks.com

I will let the experts tell you which books you should get.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Hi

If you have read my posts you will know I am not an expert.... I am learning as I go. It is hard work learning a new trade at 61 but greatly rewarding and when it gets to you have a beer or three !!!

I do not know if this will help but I have drawn to scale a plan of my LB26 and completed my own electrical drawing. I then contacted a marine electrical contractor back in the UK, I explained my situation and agreed to send him the details. He is now going to produce a "proper drawing"
a Specification and a list of all materials including wire gauges etc, yes it will cost me a little but electric's is something I really want to get right.

My only other tip for you that I can give at the moment is make very sure you cost the project out carefully, the costs as I found out can be quite frightening........ :(

But if you are up for it go for it, there is one hell of a great feeling when you stand back at the end of the day with a beer and look at what you have achieved.

Last but not least, keep asking questions, the guys have been a saviour to me.

Cheers

Les

MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MageDK »

les2021 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:54 am Hi

If you have read my posts you will know I am not an expert.... I am learning as I go. It is hard work learning a new trade at 61 but greatly rewarding and when it gets to you have a beer or three !!!

I do not know if this will help but I have drawn to scale a plan of my LB26 and completed my own electrical drawing. I then contacted a marine electrical contractor back in the UK, I explained my situation and agreed to send him the details. He is now going to produce a "proper drawing"
a Specification and a list of all materials including wire gauges etc, yes it will cost me a little but electric's is something I really want to get right.

My only other tip for you that I can give at the moment is make very sure you cost the project out carefully, the costs as I found out can be quite frightening........ :(

But if you are up for it go for it, there is one hell of a great feeling when you stand back at the end of the day with a beer and look at what you have achieved.

Last but not least, keep asking questions, the guys have been a saviour to me.

Cheers

Les
thanks. that's a great idea. I never thought about consulting a marine electrical contractor to "Finalize" the plans up with. I might give that a try once I get the basic outlines and requirements. I know my boat build is going to be a little heavy on the electronics as I want to be able to have a fairly hefty battery bank and plenty of electronics to be able to stay off grid for a week or two at a time.
Check out my Trawler 28 build viewtopic.php?t=66261.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I took a picture of one of my runs. This is fuel, hydraulic steering, electrical, all in a bundle attached at 18" or less. I used pvc for bulkhead bushings and used Black Mamba FHG for adhesive as per Richard, aka Aripeka Angler. Epoxy did not work to hold pvc.
A083820D-B16A-4089-9372-3EE0084C464E.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:41 am I took a picture of one of my runs. This is fuel, hydraulic steering, electrical, all in a bundle attached at 18" or less.

Dan nice picture but what is the top clear line and the black line with the brass fitting on it? Tom

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:44 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:41 am I took a picture of one of my runs. This is fuel, hydraulic steering, electrical, all in a bundle attached at 18" or less.

Dan nice picture but what is the top clear line and the black line with the brass fitting on it? Tom
Clear line is gutter drains to overboard.

Brass fitting lines are hydraulic steering.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495