Best way to run electrical wiring through my trawler 28 build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Best way to run electrical wiring through my trawler 28 build

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape man wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:01 am Are you building this boat or just quizzing us on how? Running wires is a LONG way down the road for a TW28 build! :lol: :lol:
Agreed. It takes us quite a bit of time to answer if a person is not serious..

My boat did not come with an electrical plan and it took me more time to create one, but I hope what I did was decent.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

cape man wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:01 am Are you building this boat or just quizzing us on how? Running wires is a LONG way down the road for a TW28 build! :lol: :lol:
I agree also. It has been nearly two months now and while I applaud your due diligence, I believe it is time to start building this boat. :D :D Keep us posted and take lots of pictures. Ask questions as they come up closer to the time you need them. I hope you are copying the answers you are getting now. I am sure you will have lots more over the 3-5 years it will take you to splash her. :D Good luck on your build.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

Hey, don't get me wrong. Great to ask as many questions here as you want and everyone here will help. It's just that wiring is one of the last things and depending on what you build it can get complicated.
Simple answer is everything in conduits if possible, marine grade wires and terminals and shrink terminals.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Noone here is keen on bustin your chops for q&a. We all like helping builders and supporting the work.

Some aspects of boat building end up using a lot of creativity. This is time you spend, off your feet, with a notepad.

Very rarely are designs specified down to minute details.

The tw28 is probably a 6000 hour boat, maybe 3000 workboat finishes, minimalist. All things, like adding an inverter, add time.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

You gotta love conduit! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I agree with fallguy we are not busting your chops, please ask all the questions you want. :D If you notice in the study plans there in the list of included plans and drawings, there is also an electrical one it is very basic but will help you. Buy the plans if you have not done so already, study them and buy the kit plywood for the hull and start there. Take it one step at a time so you do not get overwhelmed.

Like fallguy shows when the time comes before you lay the deck down put conduit in for all the systems you need, electrical, steering, engine. All should be in conduit. Use wide electrical elbows when making a turn if needed and holes in the center of the frames and stringers.

Tom

l
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:38 pm I agree with fallguy we are not busting your chops, please ask all the questions you want. :D If you notice in the study plans there in the list of included plans and drawings, there is also an electrical one it is very basic but will help you. Buy the plans if you have not done so already, study them and buy the kit plywood for the hull and start there. Take it one step at a time so you do not get overwhelmed.

Like fallguy shows when the time comes before you lay the deck down put conduit in for all the systems you need, electrical, steering, engine. All should be in conduit. Use wide electrical elbows when making a turn if needed and holes in the center of the frames and stringers.

Tom
Very little of the electrical in the TW28 needs to go under the sole. Battery locker can be above the sole with a side door for access. The engine compartment needs to obviously get wired to the ignition circuitry. But putting that in conduit is a lot of trouble for the TW28.

There should be access hatches for wire runs. And I don't agree with lots of conduits in the boat because the TW28 needs accesible pathways for wiring. Fishing all the wires is not fun..takes two people..

I have a couple of wire chases in my boat, but only about 8.5 feet of 3" or 4" pvc conduit and two corrugated 2.5" conduits about 4' long, both are for outside runs not in the boat, and a 3' piece on the windshield. The TW28 would not have any outside runs except solar maybe.

You cannot pass wires through fiberglass holes because the glass can cut the cable jacket. So all my wires pass through pvc reliefs when going through bulkheads. The lack of conduit means more cable ties and more support. I use the weld mount system. It is spendy, but I trust it.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy you're wrong the ABYC requires much more and that is all I will say until and if he starts building this boat. Tom

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:24 pm fallguy you're wrong the ABYC requires much more and that is all I will say until and if he starts building this boat. Tom
My opinion is not wrong. It is my opinion. ABYC is clear on it. Conduit or chases must be connected every 4', 18" on wires not in conduits, so my opinion requires more work, but beats fishing 22 wires through a 3" conduit to go 6 feet.

And believe it or not, I am entitled to my opinion.

Now and then Tom, realize that people offer different opinions. There is little reason to run engine harness wires in the tw28 in conduit unless access is difficult.

Concept is simple.

Access-no conduit.

No access-conduit.

Exposure to water-conduit.

All I said is if you have access; it is easier than conduit. Get over it. All this and the guy is probably not even gonna build.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

mageDK are you serious about building the TW28 or not. If not quit wasting our time. Have you ever built one of Jacques smaller boats, so you know the stitch and glue process. I do not see you responding after we answer your questions': doh: Your very welcome here and welcome to ask all the questions you want as long as you have purchased the plans and are serious about building the TW28. It will be a huge commitment in both time and resources.

Tom