Pamet FS14

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Pamet FS14

Post by PametBW »

After retiring and building a shop in our back yard, this is the first boat that we will build.
I am a retired science teacher and have done some building but I am not a woodworker. I have almost no skills but now I have a shop and some tools.
We live in Putney, Vermont.
Thank you, in advance, for your analyses and advice.
The FS14 will be assembled of CNC materials.
Up to this point things have gone well. The strongback assembly was simple and all the frames are at the prescribed distances from the fore ends of the strongbacks. The positioning of the stringers appears to be pretty good to my eye.
frame and strongbacks assembled.jpg
frame and strongbacks assembled.jpg (118.05 KiB) Viewed 347 times
We screwed cleats to the sides of the bow mold and ran screws from the aft side of the bow frame into those cleats to hold the bow mold in place.
Bow Mold.jpg
Bow Mold.jpg (101.75 KiB) Viewed 347 times
Bow Mold attached.jpg
Bow Mold attached.jpg (104.08 KiB) Viewed 347 times
I had difficulty holding the bow frame and bow mold in place so I affixed a strap along the line for the bottom of the seat to hold the weight of the assembly while I screwed it to the strongbacks. Screwing it to the strongbacks did not seem like the right thing to do, but that is how I interpreted the instructions.
WAS SCREWING THE BOW FRAME TO THE STRONGBACKS THE WRONG THING TO DO?
Here is a pic of the board I used to support the bow frame.
Bow frame.jpg
Bow frame.jpg (99.28 KiB) Viewed 347 times
Moving aftward, there appeared to be nothing noteworthy about the frames so I did not include any specific photos until the transom.
We attached cleats to the stringers and screwed through the transom frame into those cleats.
Transom attached to stringers.jpg
Transom attached to stringers.jpg (104.74 KiB) Viewed 347 times
That assembly seemed unsteady so I stood boards on the floor and clamped them to the stringers.
Stringer supports.jpg
Stringer supports.jpg (102.04 KiB) Viewed 347 times
The aft ends of the stringers are slightly shorter than the distance from the bottom of the transom to the motor mount board. As such, they could not be flush on both the bottom and the top. I chose to fix the stringers so they were flush with the bottom of the transom. WAS THIS THE WRONG THING TO DO?
Here is a pic that shows the assemblage so far, as seen from the transom.
Transom view of frame.jpg
Transom view of frame.jpg (99.79 KiB) Viewed 347 times
Here is a gratuitous pic of the highlight of the entire project.
Nera's shop.jpg
Nera's shop.jpg (127.11 KiB) Viewed 347 times
For someone as ignorant to the skills, steps, and materials the builders threads are a wonderful resource. I have spent a lot of time trying to understand the steps and to follow the advice of the group. Thank You!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Pamet FS14

Post by Fuzz »

First and most important welcome to our little fun place :D
From what I see it looks like you have done a good job so far. I am not sure about your question on where the stringers should meet the transom but the build notes should tell you what to do. I think there might even be a tutorial on the BBC site for your boat. I do know the stringers and frames are there to give the hull panels shape at this point. And because no two panels will bend the same do not worry over getting a tight fit for now. It is most important to have the sides fair and no hook or hog in the bottom. Keep posting with pictures and you will get lots of help.

PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PametBW »

Thanks for the support Fuzz.
It is probably a little nitpicky, but I don't have the experience to understand how much precision is required. The bottom line is that the transom height is slightly more than the sum of the motor mount board + the height of the aft ends of the stringers. I would have thought that the end of the stringers would touch the motor mount board at the top and been flush with the bottom of the transom. Instead, there is about a 1/4 inch gap which means that the stringer ends can either touch the motor mount board or be flush with the bottom of the transom - but not both... Since I wrote that question, I decided/realized that it is probably just fine the way it is and that having fun with this process is a better path than being stressed by fractions of an inch. Thank you for the welcome!

cape man

Post by cape man »

Looking at the picture you're fine and did the right thing making the stringers flush with the bottom of the transom. The beauty of this building method is that it isn't about precision, but all about function. The stringers are wider at the transom to distribute the force from the transom (engine). Whether they are flush with the bottom of the clamping board is just visual, not functional. By the time you glass them in you'll be fine.

Welcome to the disease...BBV...Boat Building Virus. I will warn that once contracted few are ever cured. 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

"1/4 inch gap" ----That ain't no thing :D

Looks good to me, glad to see your new thread.

Dougster

PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PametBW »

Thanks Cape Man and Dougster. Making my first post and getting advice and support is a real boost. We are heading to Cape Cod for a couple of weeks. My plan is to start putting the panels on when we get back. I look forward to that and to posting updates. Thanks again!