VG23 New Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: VG23 New Build

Post by mhd »

So, some progress...

I attached the 3" PVC pipe to the front of the keel as per the plans. Just need to build it up a bit further and then sand back to a fair shape, but I think it looks pretty decent as far as I've gone up to now. Nice and symmetrical and will look better after rounding edges for glassing.

Also the welder arrived. I'm keen to see if I can fabricate the bow forestay/stem fitting myself. First ever attempt at welding was ok and I did a few test welds.

It actually went better than I imagined and with a bit more practice should be fine.

I cut the parts for the stem fitting already using the angle grinder: 316L stainless. They need a bit of cleaning up. Couldn't get the bend as tight as specified in the plans, but it should still be serviceable. Bending the steel was a challenge but I got very close to the required angle. I plan to file down the pieces and get them ready for welding but before doing that I'll make sure I've had a bit more practice with welding some scrap pieces together first (and then beating them severely with a lump hammer to make sure the welds are truly secure!).

Next jobs will be taping the interior keel joints and fairing up the front of the keel. I'll probably fill the pipe at the front of the keel with lead shot mixed with epoxy eventually - different sizes of shot so it packs better, but no rush with that right now.

And I also ordered the first few sheets of ply from the office (thanks Reid!). They are en route currently. After the keel is done I'll aim to make progress on rudder, centreboard, and centreboard case.

Cheers,

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Barn Lancaster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Barn Lancaster »

mhd wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:39 pm Got the keel together to test how the forward portion of it will fit - plans call for 3" pvc pipe on the leading edge. I'll unstitch and epoxy seal the inside surfaces before putting it back together and starting to do the inner joins.

Plans also call for 500kg (~1100 lbs) of lead ballast. I'll bet that won't be cheap these days, but I will try not to think about that until the hull build is out of the way.

Mick

Hi Mick you need to have a laying of the keel ceremony (includes naming the boat) one of the three ceremonies in the life of a boat ,laying the keel, launch ,decommissioning. Here's Talon's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIcRfuSEmVk

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Barn Lancaster wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:49 pm
mhd wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:39 pm Got the keel together to test how the forward portion of it will fit - plans call for 3" pvc pipe on the leading edge. I'll unstitch and epoxy seal the inside surfaces before putting it back together and starting to do the inner joins.

Plans also call for 500kg (~1100 lbs) of lead ballast. I'll bet that won't be cheap these days, but I will try not to think about that until the hull build is out of the way.

Mick

Hi Mick you need to have a laying of the keel ceremony (includes naming the boat) one of the three ceremonies in the life of a boat ,laying the keel, launch ,decommissioning. Here's Talon's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIcRfuSEmVk
Good point! We have some friends coming over in a couple of weeks - that will be a perfect opportunity! Cheers, Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

A batch of plywood and various other bits and pieces arrived earlier this week (thanks Jeff/Reid). I cut the centreboard to shape (will be 3x 3/8" epoxied) and have been cutting lead for ballast. Lead was left over from some roof work last year.

I'll cut out a central oversized cavity in the centreboard, fill with compresses/flattened lead to the specified weight (lead is currently in the garage being squeezed flat under all my G clamps), and completely encapsulate the lead sandwich in the cavity. This will saves melting lead, although that will be unavoidable for the keel ballast in future.

After that will be rounding the edges of the outside pieces, shape the profile, and then epoxy/biaxial over the top.

Cheers,

Mick

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Mick!! Thank you for the kind words!! Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Sidetracked with visitors for the past couple of weeks. Today I was back to it and taped the first two interior joints on the keel (9oz biaxial). Will aim to do the rest tomorrow.

And glued the first two layers of the centreboard with epoxy/wood-flour. Layers of lead encapsulated in pure epoxy after some work with 60 grit sandpaper on the lead and ply. The lead layer is now level with the ply. Will glue on the final layer of ply tomorrow also.

After that I'll aim to make progress with the CB case.

Mick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Did a layer of 9oz biaxial tape over the forward/aft joints on the keel. The top-left air bubble thankfully disappeared with the epoxy roller...and writing that reminds me that I didn't clean the roller and by now it will be set solid - arrgghh!

Tape is cut ready for the last two external joints on the keel bottom - tomorrow I hope. Plans call for a further two layers of biaxial over the entire keel but I'll hold off on that until ready to attach to the hull. I want the keel-to-hull tape joint to be the bottom (innermost) layer.

And I also did a coat of epoxy on one side of the centreboard case.

Last thing for the day was taking the electric plane to the centreboard itself to put some very basic profiling shape and taper into. Thicker on the leading edge and tapered aft and that will be enough. I'm not too concerned about getting a perfect profile as I just know I'll end up planing through to the lead underneath at some point and I am determined to avoid that. I'll post a photo of the centreboard once I've sanded it to some kind of reasonably fair shape, prior to glassing.

I need to head out of town to buy some mahogany for the centreboard structure - probably a week away, but will see if I can sneak off early next week some time. I've ordered the required cheek block to lift/lower the CB. But I'm currently thinking over more how to attach the stainless steel cheeks to the centreboard with the suggested sheave/bushings. I'll probably have a stab at cutting/drilling those next week too as I think I have enough 316L stainless left over from the chainplates. Need to tap out one of the stainless CB cheeks for a 3/8" bolt too. I've got the necessary tap/die kit in the garage but I'm a virgin as far as using it in anger for the first time goes - will be fun to at least try my hand at that also. I'm torn between metric/imperial (3/8" or 10mm bolt) - who knows where the boat may be if it ever needs replacement (but by Sod's Law it is bound to be the wrong place for whichever I choose!) so I may drill/tap both.

Cheers,

Mick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Decided to add ~3kg (~6lbs) of lead to the rudder in the same way I did for the centreboard. Cut a recess in the central layer of ply and encapsulate the lead there. Calculated that this should make the submerged portion of the rudder very close to neutral bouyancy.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Cut the recess in the central layer of ply for ~3kg of lead. Glued that on to the bottom layer with epoxy/wood-flour mix and epoxied the lead in place. It is under weight in the garage currently. Tomorrow I'll add extra epoxy so it is exactly to the same level as the surrounding wood. Then glue on the top layer.

I also finished shaping the centreboard, drilled out an oversized pivot hole, filled that with putty, and gave the entire thing a coat of epoxy on one side, in preparation for glassing. All edges are rounded over. Will do epoxy on the other side tomorrow.

The rudder pivot (1/2 inch steel rod 316L arrived today along with some more 4" width 316L of 1/8" thickness, and a selection of sheaves. Will think more on the centreboard lifting purchase, but I think I've more or less figured out from the plans how it all hangs together, and will post a few pics when it is done.

Cheers,

Mick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Another good day. Topped up the expoxy surrounding the lead so it is level (or just slightly above) the ply. I'll sand it completely flat tomorrow and fit the final layer of ply on top. Then can start to rough cut/shape the rudder itself.

Also drilled out the middle of the oversized hole that I filled with putty for the centreboard pivot. Then, after a few false starts, I cut my first bushing from a block of HDPE to fit the hole, and the 1/2" pivot bolt.

I added in some very small "dimples" to the outside of the bushing to provide a mechanical "key". When fitted in place, and filled with putty these should hold the bushing fixed from ever deciding it wants to rotate also. Unlikely as it is perfectly smooth inside, but better safe than sorry.

For some strange, unfathomable reason, I'm happy out of all proportion with how that small bushing turned out! I'm looking forward to sorting out the lifting purchase next. Measured the stainless cheeks today, and will cut them out and test-fit over the next few days.

Still need some more supplies to make more progress with the CB case - hopefully by the end of the week.

Mick