Getting ready to paint the hull, so I have questions

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Getting ready to paint the hull, so I have questions

Post by fallguy1000 »

If I were starting over, I'd only use Interlux paints...fyi
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:55 am If I were starting over, I'd only use Interlux paints...fyi
Huh? Why? I know you had a lot of paint issues.

I do see where interlux sells a white hull bottom epoxy paint that could work for my application. Would that be it?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I really think Interlux spends the most on R&D and does the best job. Now, EMC makes good paints, but they sort of scared me on price.

The reason I like Interlux is their 2000e is my favorite paint so far to use. Just a primer, but use a fine roller and it lays down nicely.

I used their Broghtside paints on an aluminum boat years ago and also looked nice.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

For what it's worth i've also used Total boat topside paint (forget the actual exact name) and I really disliked it. It went on easy enough (I sprayed it on) but it had almost no gloss and it chipped very easily, even though the primer I used then seemed to do OK.

I don't know about Interlux' R&D budget but I previously have used their VC performance epoxy (again sprayed on) and it went on VERY easily and held great up against sand and such. It wasn't very shiny but it sure was smooth.
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

After a lot more research, I think I will stick to my original plan of using all Petit brand for the hull and topside. Since the boat will be trailered and kept in a warehouse, not spend a lot of time soaking in water, the Petit brand will work. Any leftover primer/paint can be used for touch ups as the boat wears.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne