SeaDek prep fun

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

SeaDek prep fun

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am putting SeaDek in the cabin. Decided to go 5/8" reveal, so had to tidy up the wall edges.

Sanding fun never ends!
CBF8EA77-98DE-4DDF-B6EB-BCB576E3E10F.jpeg
FC0DDB2D-BAD8-4749-9F02-E55A11665724.jpeg
B75C8F45-CADD-47BA-A90C-9C9CDB01B3B2.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: SeaDek prep fun

Post by OrangeQuest »

They make a long mandrel that uses sanding drums and make that semi easier. I use my mini cordless router and drill.

https://www.eastwood.com/high-speed-man ... inx-6.html
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

A small dremel with a properly sized round ball would be awesome in the corners. They suck.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

I am putting SeaDek in the cabin. Decided to go 5/8" reveal, so had to tidy up the wall edges.
Have you bought the SeaDek? If not, I would rethink that. I have SeaDek on my decks and probably would not use it again. Looks great and nice underfoot but its just not tough enough IMHO. My boat only gets used maybe 30 days per year - I don't think SeaDek is up to the sort of constant foot traffic that it will likely see on the cabin floor of a boat like yours.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

UV is what kills it. Not going outside.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:48 pm UV is what kills it. Not going outside.
Time will tell! 8O

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looks like SeaDek uses the same EVA foam that is used on things like paddle boards, jet skis, PFDs, and yoga mats, but just costs a lot more. I have tried to research as to what makes it so much more expense and can't find anything to justify the cost of SeaDek. I even ordered their sample pack to compare with other EVA foam, don't see or feel any. Seems to hold up the same too. I looked for the best price of EVA foam and found a factory that sells the stuff pretty cheap compared to SeaDek. Only downside is the choice of colors, white or charcoal gray. You can also get it in different densities, which increases the strength also. You can get it in limited other colors of the lightest density but costs a little more and only big sheets. Comes in a lot of different thicknesses too.

I am with Fallguy on UV destroys it over time but that is continuous exposure and they have come a long way with it's strength and holding up to sunlight. One thing is it stains easy and needs more than just soap and water to clean sometimes. We have a few SUP boards that have white EVA foam, and the red clay will stain but a stiff brush and bleach gets it bright white again. Very easy to cut and install on flat surfaces and SeaDek uses a router to round over the edges and do different designs in 2 or 3 layers of different colors. That is one thing I didn't try with my samples of other EVA foam. I like the traction it has even after it is wet with shoes or barefoot. I don't like the gritty stuff used for wet surfaces as much as I like the padded surface. For the cost and ease of installing or replacing standard EVA foam, I ordered some and as Stated:
BarraMan wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:22 am Time will tell!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I have decided there is a big downside. It gets filthy. And I cannot wash it.

So, I wish I had snap in floors.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I'm using Bullyliner. It's a water based truckliner rubber coating. Tough and strong, but not great on bare feet. But I figure I can lay marine carpet or mats on top and it should stay put with just a bit of velcro here and there. That way I can easily remove the carpet to dry or to clean. Not a fan of glued in carpet for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure how it will hold up to UV long term, but I'll try to keep it covered.

Just a thought.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:42 am I have decided there is a big downside. It gets filthy. And I cannot wash it.

So, I wish I had snap in floors.
Why can't you wash it and did you get the textured stuff?

The EVA foam I ordered should be smooth and easy to wash. Just can't use the power washer. 8O
Anything with any kind of weight will leave an indent but slowly comes back out.
A. A. Milne