Workboat vs Yacht Finish

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Still.Eric
New Poster
New Poster

Workboat vs Yacht Finish

Post by Still.Eric »

Hi All,

First post here, I’ve attempted using the search feature but I’m not finding what I’m looking for.

Can anyone point me to a thread or threads discussing the difference between a work boat and yacht finish? And if possible the process for obtaining a workboat finish and if that could eventually be reworked into a yacht finish.

Thanks!

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Workboat vs Yacht Finish

Post by fallguy1000 »

Still.Eric wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:34 am Hi All,

First post here, I’ve attempted using the search feature but I’m not finding what I’m looking for.

Can anyone point me to a thread or threads discussing the difference between a work boat and yacht finish? And if possible the process for obtaining a workboat finish and if that could eventually be reworked into a yacht finish.

Thanks!
Workboat is about the least amount of fairing you can get away with.

What does that mean?

Well, it means that all razor sharp edges of fiberglass have been sanded and hit with one pass of fairing compound mostly to fill in sharp areas so you don't cut your hand touching the boat or to fill in any grooves in the surface. But it is not mean the surfaces are fair or even filled at all.

A yacht finish is a fair surface all the way and all low areas are filled with fairing compound.

So, consider a simple idea.

You have a hull panel and each side of that panel is tabbed with seam tape. Assume the seam tape is 0.080" thick and there is a tape on the lower chine and the hull is a single chine. For a yacht finish; this surface is filled in all the way.

If you have a 18" high hullside, the fairing vertically goes from 0.080" to zero. This is done with tons of labor and a torture board to make the sides look perfectly flat. And a 21" wide knife to pass the compound all the way to flat. It takes about 4-5 passes with sanding each time to make it nice. This is about a week or two for most builders. Using Quikfair can help as it cures well in about 5 hours.

The problem with workboat first is paint fills in the lower area and the paint you use must have exceptional bond strength to sand it for key and lay in fairing compound later. And, you may have added a rubrail, or other fittings that need removal for future fairing.

There is an in between which is smoothed, but not fair. The entire surface gets a pass of fairing compound, but you just use power sanding and a couple of passes versus the longbord and aiming for perfection.

I gotta get to work today, so all for now.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Still.Eric
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Still.Eric »

Fallguy that’s exactly what I needed. Thank you. I’m looking for the in between and I think I could live with that forever, hit it with some fairing compound but not perfect and then finish with some sort of satin finish so it doesn’t highlight the lows and highs.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Good option is the best finish you can manage on the outside and workboat inside. Minor fairing issues can be hidden with the right choice of paint. The expensive 2 part paints will show everything. You can also consider a vinyl wrap. Pick an abstract pattern or a bright stripe and it will draw the eye. That’s my backup plan.

https://vinylboatwrap.co.nz/

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jut to argue with OQ…

You see and “live” on the inside. Most of the dirt and blood and stick will be in the inside. Finish the inside and use best paint you can stomach to make cleaning easy.

Outside hits crap. Docks, rocks, oysters, mud, sand, other boats, neighborhood reprobates… make that workboat since you will inevitably do touchups on the regular. Might as well accept that “shiney boats don’t get much use” is mostly true.

You also feel less bad smashing a workboat hull into a dock than a 300hr fairing and paint job.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:30 pm Jut to argue with OQ…

Huh? What did I say?
:lol: :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I think that was you on my account. Stop that!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fine. I’m blaming the drugs.

Just to argue with OWT…
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Its easier to do a yacht finish now rather than later! :D

Might as well accept that “shiney boats don’t get much use” is mostly true.

Or be an exception to the rule! :lol: 6 yrs and 350 hrs on the motor later (probably 10x that on the water!) - it still looks good! :lol:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

BarraMan wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:20 pm Its easier to do a yacht finish now rather than later! :D

Might as well accept that “shiney boats don’t get much use” is mostly true.

Or be an exception to the rule! :lol: 6 yrs and 350 hrs on the motor later (probably 10x that on the water!) - it still looks good! :lol:
What is your bottom paint? When is there another barramundi video coming out?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495