Fishing Boat for 4

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Still.Eric
New Poster
New Poster

Fishing Boat for 4

Post by Still.Eric »

Hi All,

Having a hard time visualizing the various plans even when looking at build threads. Hoping you can help shed some light on my path forward!

I’ve been studying FS17, PH16/18, OB17/19 and Salt Boatworks 18. All seem to have trade offs.

Im looking for a hull that can best do the following:

- will be used in lakes around Oklahoma and Texas, possibility of future move to north Florida, Carolina’s or Jersey but that’s long term. We just recently moved from Naples and sold our skiff, we should have brought it with us.

- can be built and stored in a single car garage (I have a 3 car to use sporadically during the build but not for long term storage)

- can comfortably fish 2 people and have a bow trolling motor mounted

- can cruise/sandbar with 4 adults and have a transom swim platform

- runs a 90hp motor or less, ideally would be a 30-50hp for economy

Open to all suggestions but hoping there’s a specific hull that really fits this use case?
Last edited by Still.Eric on Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Fishing Boat for 4

Post by fallguy1000 »

Need more detail about seakeeping. Where fishing?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Still.Eric
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Still.Eric »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:02 pm Need more detail about seakeeping. Where fishing?
Updated original Post

Will be used in lakes around Oklahoma and Texas, possibility of future move to north Florida, Carolina’s or Jersey but that’s long term. We just recently moved from Naples and sold our skiff, we should have brought it with us.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Tell us about the skiff you sold. What did you like and not like about it? That might give us a little more info to work with.
Also welcome to the fun :wink:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

18'
8' beam

First two advisements

Unless you want to pole shallow water?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Still.Eric
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Still.Eric »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:43 pm Tell us about the skiff you sold. What did you like and not like about it? That might give us a little more info to work with.
Also welcome to the fun :wink:
It was a 16’ flat bottom work skiff called a “griffis skiff 16’ wide side console”. It had a 30hp 4 stroke tohatsu with remote start, a minn Kota trolling motor and a nice front casting platform .

Really liked that it wasn’t a show boat so I didn’t worry about using it, loved the trolling motor and the lower HP because it still ran 25mph with good fuel.

Didn’t like the side console because it was a bit cramped and blocked part of the access to the water. Also didn’t like that it was flat bottom, I need something that handles chop more comfortably. I would have liked a rear casting platform too and it didn’t have a swim ladder so that sucked.

Still.Eric
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Still.Eric »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:03 pm 18'
8' beam

First two advisements

Unless you want to pole shallow water?
Unfortunately no shallow water to pole in Oklahoma.

The boats on my list that get close to your recommendation are the PH18, OB19 and salt boatworks 18. I think the wider beam would be nice to have for passengers and swimming etc. Any hull recommendations that Im missing?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I would recommend two boats for you the OB17 and the FS17. Both will be good with a 50HP motor and are V-hulled. Both can go offshore if you want and can handle pretty nasty waves. There have been plenty of both built so it is sort of 50/50 and depends on your preference. Both have advantages and disadvantages. If you look at the study plans there is not much difference between them, do not look at hull weight as the FS17 is for the very basic hull. Good luck on your decision, both of these boats are easy to build and come together fairly easily. The OB17 has a little more height on the insides.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Still.Eric
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Still.Eric »

TomW1 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:52 pm I would recommend two boats for you the OB17 and the FS17. Both will be good with a 50HP motor and are V-hulled. Both can go offshore if you want and can handle pretty nasty waves. There have been plenty of both built so it is sort of 50/50 and depends on your preference. Both have advantages and disadvantages. If you look at the study plans there is not much difference between them, do not look at hull weight as the FS17 is for the very basic hull. Good luck on your decision, both of these boats are easy to build and come together fairly easily. The OB17 has a little more height on the insides.

Tom
Thanks Tom. It seems the FS17 has a wider max beam but the OB17 has more beam overall? Meaning the OB17 is a “bigger” boat?

It seems like the FS17 would be a great fishing boat but the OB17 might be a bit better for friends and swimming but can also fish?

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Another option that would fit much of your wish list is the Nina 22 , it will weigh in at 950 lb so in the weight range of the others so material cost wont will be about the same , the beam is not as wide as the others but you get 3' to 5' more length , big +s are a 30 to 50 hp motor and option for a jump cabin . Put a 30 hp on her for Ok and Texas , and go 50 hp when you move to a coastal area , and it,s a goo fit for North Fl.