Plans to buy

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
JoeJams80

Plans to buy

Post by JoeJams80 »

Hello all
Looking at a first time build. Trying to decide between 3 sets of plans. Looking at the Sk-14 and the FS-14LS. The third set is the Flats river skiff 14 by Salt boat works. I like the extra beam stability on the FS-14LS but would prefer to lay out the deck to mimic the SK-14 can this be achieved? As for the other 2 plans the Flats river skiff from Salt boat works has chines built in where as the SK -14 does not. I live in Rhode Island and would like to use it for fly fishing stripers and bluefish in the local bays. My main questions are can the FS-14LS be decked like the SK-14 so it’s basically a continuous casting deck with a center grab rail and a small edge reveal rather then the cockpit layout? Will the chines on the Salt Boat works version dramatically add to the stability in small chop? And lastly ease of build. Would also love to see if there are any members in my area that have built any of these models for similar use. Thanks in advance for any advice.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Plans to buy

Post by TomW1 »

Yes, cut down all the frames of the FS14LS forward of the rear of cockpit and to the first frame at the bow to 3' deck them with a layer of plywood and you will base have a better SK14. In other words, just expand the cockpit forward. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

JoeJams80
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JoeJams80 »

TomW1
Thank you for your insight. I'm glad that configuration will work as I think the extra beam will pay off in terms of stability for my water.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

The chine flats have a bigger effect on lift and spray than lateral stability.