Bottom coat and topside paint lm18

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Bottom coat and topside paint lm18

Post by Edd »

Yesterday I put the epoxy with graphite on the bottom of my lm18. When I put the top coat on should I bring he topcoat to the bottom coat. Then bring the bottom coat up a little (add more epoxy graphite) to overlap the topcoat? Or should I let the topcoat overlap onto the bottom coat?
9FE4E972-4998-469D-95F5-2DD2A7C8439A.jpeg
FB3D21F5-1FF0-4493-A59F-A410789A9E3A.jpeg
I might be overthinking this.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Bottom coat and topside paint lm18

Post by TomW1 »

Edd I assume you will be trailering your LM18 and pulling it every time you use it. Then just overlap your graphite a little bit with the topcoat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Edd »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:33 pm Edd I assume you will be trailering your LM18 and pulling it every time you use it. Then just overlap your graphite a little bit with the topcoat.

Tom
Yeah it’ll live on a trailer. The graphite/epoxy is on pretty thick. So it got me questioning what to do.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I just took the paint to the edge of the graphite. Can't really see any difference between the two in thickness.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Edd »

cape man wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:12 am I just took the paint to the edge of the graphite. Can't really see any difference between the two in thickness.
Ok that’s what I was thinking I’d try. If it doesn’t look good I’ll just take the graphite up a little bit to overlap

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

I also brought my topside to the graphite. I may have overlapped the graphite by like a half millimeter but you can barely tell. You can feel it when you rub your finger over it but I could probably 'fix' that by wet sanding but it doesn't bother me enough to do anything about.
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Since UV rays can bounce off surfaces, I decided to paint over all my graphite bottom. Even though when not in the water, it will be in a warehouse but that is for now, who knows what the future holds and don't want the graphite epoxy mix to start to fade from UV exposure.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I does fade to a grey as I see on my LB22, but it doesn't seem to bother me. Someone a few years back found a product that you could wipe on and refresh it, but I can't recall what it was. Acetone? Nah, I don't remember.

Dougster

Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Edd »

Anyone used this? Would it prevent gray/haze?
E20DDA33-E8AD-4A3B-9290-C8E25FD01DAD.png

cape man

Post by cape man »

I have some but have never used it. They sell a Marine Epoxy version here. https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/prod ... llon-only/
You might ask Reid if there's any long-term results.

Where are you thinking of using it?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman