Tx13.5

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
travisc454
New Poster
New Poster

Tx13.5

Post by travisc454 »

Is this a terrible idea? A Tx18 scaled down 25%..... TX13.5..... Aluminum boat.

First off, I own/operate a metal fabrication company that specializes in aluminum welding. That is why it has to be aluminum.
This is all for fun, I have wanted to build boats for some time. The plan is to build 2 different boats in the next couple months (then more). I have a nice (less experimental) one piece bottom, 16' aluminum poling skiff of my own design ready to cut and form. I'm trying to decide if this "tx13.5" should be the other boat I start....

I whipped up this model just to get some rough weights. Not the final layout. I want to make the first version very simple, just to get into the water and test. I was going for a 13 whaler ish.... tender style boat. If its not total garbage I wanted to make a final version that is cool mash up of beautiful aluminum and mahogany, sort of modern meets old 13 whaler side console. Idk if that makes any since? It will have foam (still trying to determine how much)
I raised the sides 6". So far what you see is 268 lbs. made from .100 aluminum. That includes additional transom bracing and pipe gunnel (not pictured). Safe to say, even with additional bracing and some hatches I could easily keep hull weight under 340 (13 whaler weight).
Engine? I have a new suzuki 25 that weighs 136 lbs I could use?

What do you think? I guess im searching for someone to tell me if its GOING TO SUCK FOR SURE. And to stop dreaming.
Obviously im no boat expert. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Tx13.5

Post by TomW1 »

Yep, you said it, Jacques designs can be increased or decreased by 10% without a complete redesign. So, reducing it by 25% is well outside that parameter. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

travisc454
New Poster
New Poster

Post by travisc454 »

"- to enlarge or reduce the boat´s size by 10% is possible but will have serious consequences on the Bill OF Material and plywood nesting. Please read this about scaling:
http://bateau2.com/howto/scaling.php"

Im only using the hull shape, the bill of material and nesting are of no concern.
The link doesn't work for me. So idk what other warnings there are.

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

I love it. The world needs more seasled style boats.

It sounds like you have the ability to execute the build and are aware that it might take some fiddling to get it worked out just right.

I don't see much in the way of stringers in your model. It seems like most aluminum boats end up with more stingers than most plywood/fiberglass boats.

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

I'm not JM but I think it looks pretty good, I would be concerned with no stringers, even if it is aluminum but it may be fine, i've never built with aluminum. It won't handle/act the same way as a TX18 as designed but it probably won't be garbage. I'm pretty sure there's a thread somewhere on here where someone made a TX10 or something like that, scaled the thing way down.

EDIT: here: viewtopic.php?t=15124&hilit=TX18
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)

travisc454
New Poster
New Poster

Post by travisc454 »

wpstarling wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:02 am I'm not JM but I think it looks pretty good, I would be concerned with no stringers, even if it is aluminum but it may be fine, i've never built with aluminum. It won't handle/act the same way as a TX18 as designed but it probably won't be garbage. I'm pretty sure there's a thread somewhere on here where someone made a TX10 or something like that, scaled the thing way down.

EDIT: here: viewtopic.php?t=15124&hilit=TX18
Im actually starting to think maybe I shouldnt build this one. No real success stories it seems. The one video of the TX18, he gets to dialing it in and then he disappears, over 10 years since he launched that boat. Laguna tiger same. That 10'. Is a single outboard ever going to perform right on this design? A surface drive? (there is a new bevertail 15 featherlite that weighs 120) but thats a whole different deal. IDK

For stringers IMO it depends on a lot. I feel like ive seen every imaginable hull bracing. I modeled this one off the "metal boat kits" style. Most of the small boats in there lineup dont have stringers.
15'

16'

19'

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

I know the guy that took the video of that TX18 and he said the boat ran like a dream and only reason for motor swap was for better top speed.

You might be fine without stringers since you have the frames going across but the inverted v is different than a v hull so I don't know what forces would be on it. I'm sure if Reid or someone can get Jacques on here he can give you his opinion.

The boat would be fine with a single outboard but it will most definitely handle differently than a flat bottom or v bottom of the same size
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)