AD16 Question

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

AD16 Question

Post by Reid »

Question for Jacques from a customer regarding the AD16:
Good Day,
I'm in the midst of deciding my next boat build for the coming winter. Have it narrowed down to three or four designs. I've recently added your Adelie 16 to this mix for all of the reasons mentioned in your descriptions and study plans.
The AD 16 study plans show a 114 sf sail area. Is this for both the standard rig and the Chinese-style lugsail? Is the area of a jib included in this 114 sf? I ask because the CLC Pocketship seems to be a close comparison to the AD 16 but lists 148 sf of sail area.

If the mast remained in the same location, would it be possible to place it in a tabernacle for ease of setting it up? I once had a Hobie 16 that was a true joy, except for the time and effort it took to step and unstep the mast. I'm sure it affected how often I took the boat out. So, ease of launch/setup is of paramount importance in my next build.

One more thing. The AD 16 study plans mention a carbon fiber mast kit but I can't find this on your website. Do you still provide this or plans for it?

Posted by Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AD16 Question

Post by jacquesmm »

One question at a time. I am typing this on my tablet while travelling through a place with no phone service.
Reid wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:53 pm
The AD 16 study plans show a 114 sf sail area. Is this for both the standard rig and the Chinese-style lugsail? Is the area of a jib included in this 114 sf? I ask because the CLC Pocketship seems to be a close comparison to the AD 16 but lists 148 sf of sail area.
The fully battened main is 114 ft2, the spi ( or reacher) is 111. The CLC plan probably includes a jib, that would match the AD16 but a small jib would not make sense on the AD16, a large jib or spi is a better choice.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

If the mast remained in the same location, would it be possible to place it in a tabernacle for ease of setting it up? I once had a Hobie 16 that was a true joy, except for the time and effort it took to step and unstep the mast. I'm sure it affected how often I took the boat out. So, ease of launch/setup is of paramount importance in my next build.

The mast is self standing, buried through the roof but it is a small mast that should be much easier to set up than a Hobie mast. You slide it through the hole and it stay there while you fasten the stays. No need for acrobatics.
A tabernacle would require major changes to the whole design.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

One more thing. The AD 16 study plans mention a carbon fiber mast kit but I can't find this on your website. Do you still provide this or plans for it?
That kit does not exist anymore because of a carbon fiber supply problem, sorry.