Rod builders?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Rod builders?

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Homemade fly rod that was a gift from a close friend. Caught a ton of salmon with it, haven’t touched it until today after he passed.
E1577D82-C7C9-429A-A6C7-E3A4B28065EF.jpeg
68B68A00-6444-477A-A3D7-D65F34093199.jpeg
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

cape man

Post by cape man »

Nice!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Pretty sure I want to learn rod repair.

So, if a stainless eye is broken or bad on an older ocean rod, would you guys change it to ceramic and leave the rest steel or match the original for looks.

I did enjoy the shoutout to CL. Never met and not too much forum chatter that I recall, but always great to hear about his legendary status among the group.

Anyhow, I have much to learn, but the rod guide work is all epoxy stuff, with a little more finesse to do perfect, so seems in line with boat building.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

At one time you could buy rod eye repairs kits at Academy and the glue they used. It was like hot glue but I think it required hotter temps to melt.

For bay fishing I like you use ultra lite tackle and a lot of my little rods are made for freshwater. The eyes like to corrode out of them and in need of replacement. In all I have about 9 or 10 rods in need of repair. In the past you could just take them in and get an exchange, but companies have changed their warranty policies over the last few years.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:18 am So, if a stainless eye is broken or bad on an older ocean rod, would you guys change it to ceramic and leave the rest steel or match the original for looks.
Well… that depends.

I’ll survey the charter captain’s tackle room, but the rods he keeps out for random use are 50/50. “If you’re going for big meat, go ceramic. Nicer on the braid.” Anything that looks like it has 50+lb braid is ceramic.

Shane’s pretty good about spending the right dollars so I’d consider that a solid starting point.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

When I lived in Orlando there is a women who taught fishing rod building. She was a master her dad was a famous rod builder. She build 100's of rods a year. I took several classes and have built about 50 rods myself of varying designs. If she still teaches the class I highly recommend it. I think she used to have a couple week long classes for out of towners who want to learn. At the end of 4 days you will have built your first rod. She is also much cheaper for components than mud hole.

Kels Rod and Reel. http://www.kelsrodreel.com/fishing-rods.html

cbuf
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Inspired by this thread(thanks Fallguy!), I ordered Elaine a "make your own" 5wt fly rod kit from Mudhole, for a Christmas gift. Will be interesting to see if it captures her attention like tying flies does, we'll see. If all goes to plan, eventually, she will catch a fish on a rod she "made" with a fly she tied from a boat I built. My personal Nirvana! :D
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:56 am Inspired by this thread(thanks Fallguy!), I ordered Elaine a "make your own" 5wt fly rod kit from Mudhole, for a Christmas gift. Will be interesting to see if it captures her attention like tying flies does, we'll see. If all goes to plan, eventually, she will catch a fish on a rod she "made" with a fly she tied from a boat I built. My personal Nirvana! :D
That would be something! Hope all goes well.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice VT_Jeff!!! Jeff