Reverse chines

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Reverse chines

Post by fishgitr »

Do you get the full benefits of reverse chines on smaller boats, low HP?

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Reverse chines

Post by narfi »

I was told no benifit for my fs17 but I did them and a full length keel strip more for sacrificial protection for my glassed in hull. After a couple years the chines are still like new, but I have definitely worn through the glass into the wood core of my keel strip from beaching on sand, rocks and gravel.

I think I would still do it all the same if I were to do it again. I think the way I did the chines have made for a drier ride, though I have no way of comparing as it's my only boat like that.

The keel was added after the hull was fully glassed, so wearing into it does not harm the hull at all. I will probably fill and glass that ~6ft section again in the spring before the season starts and expect to redo it every few years.

Internet isn't great now so no picture, I'll try again in the morning if I remember.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

fishgitr wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:48 pm Do you get the full benefits of reverse chines on smaller boats, low HP?
I have no idea really! My boat is BIG and HIGH HP! :lol: Jacques told me that there was no point in putting reverse chines on it - but I also did so anyway. :help: I am very happy with the result but have nothing to compare it with! :doh:

A friend, who used to race boats, looked at mine and said, "That will handle. I would maybe like a bit more reverse chine - but it looks good"!

The boat comes onto the plane in a boat length and handles very well - so I am happy! Jacques may well be correct - but I am still happy! :lol:

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

narfi wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:29 pm I was told no benifit for my fs17 but I did them and a full length keel strip more for sacrificial protection for my glassed in hull. After a couple years the chines are still like new, but I have definitely worn through the glass into the wood core of my keel strip from beaching on sand, rocks and gravel.

I think I would still do it all the same if I were to do it again. I think the way I did the chines have made for a drier ride, though I have no way of comparing as it's my only boat like that.

The keel was added after the hull was fully glassed, so wearing into it does not harm the hull at all. I will probably fill and glass that ~6ft section again in the spring before the season starts and expect to redo it every few years.

Internet isn't great now so no picture, I'll try again in the morning if I remember.
Why not glue an Aluminium strip on? Not expensive, and will handle wear better than any amount of glass.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I was thinking more of a detachable skeg. One easy enough to remove but strong enough to handle the rough groundings. Have a few of them pre-made so it only takes a few minutes to replace a worn one and the worn one can set up to allow the wood to dry out before filling and repaint.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

You are right, an aluminum abrasion strip is a good idea for the bottom.
3/4 to 1" wide and 1/4 thick? 3/8" ??

It's been a crazy summer all my time and brain power not being used at work has gone into logistics for getting my big boat here. I haven't had much time to think about this repair.
20220806_170202.jpg
20220806_170131.jpg
Sorry fishgtr, I didn't mean to hijack your question down a rabbit trail. Its thoughts and plans I was considering together at that stage of my build though, so maybe helpful to someone to see.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

CL and cape man both put aluminum strips on the keels of thare OD18's and a I have CL's it has no damage to the keel and I won't speak for cm. You don't need a big piece just the width and length of the keel by 1/4" thick.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fishgitr wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:48 pm Do you get the full benefits of reverse chines on smaller boats, low HP?
Need to ask if there is a downside of having them?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

For low HP boats no need for them. Now when you get up to 17' boats with 50-70HP motors they can be a help deflecting spray away from the boat and make it drier.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Wear strips: Mine is only 3mm thick, but that was an easy to get size. Screws to hold then glue and filled screw holes later. If retrofitting I'd look into holding it in place with VHB tape or straps until the glue sets. I don't plan to beach my boat much if at all, but trailer rash is a possibility.

Reverse chines: Mine are filled in dams at the chine with UHMWPE glued to the outside of them. I don't see a downside and like the look. Technically, I suppose they will make the boat harder riding but they would need to be massive for that to be an issue.