Pamet FS14

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Pamet FS14

Post by PametBW »

After a visit to Cape Cod I have made some progress.
The panels are on the frame and I just pulled them together with zip ties.
It is my first time doing this so I have tried to use some strategies described in previous build threads.
Those strategies included using 16d nails as spacers and gently attaching the side panels to the transom.
As this is my first time, I am fairly insecure about appropriate tolerances.
To my eye, all the seams appear okay.
Where all the panels come together at the bow is the sketchiest part so I would ask for advice from more experienced eyes please?
My hope is that it will pass inspection and that I will begin spot welding.
I intend to use EZ Fillet for the spot welding.
I think that I will crawl underneath and apply some masking tape to the inside to thwart dripping...
Please feel invited to comment and advise. Thanks, in advance.
Here are some pics:
a bow zipped.jpeg
b port forward zipped.jpeg
c starbrd forward zipped.jpg
c starbrd forward zipped.jpg (95.18 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
d port aft zipped.jpeg
d port aft zipped.jpeg (82.19 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
f starbrd aft zipped.jpg
f starbrd aft zipped.jpg (95.17 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
g transom view zipped.jpg
g transom view zipped.jpg (108.6 KiB) Viewed 1576 times

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Pamet FS14

Post by Fuzz »

To my eyes it looks like you have the front 1/4 of the side panels pulled in too much. You might try cutting a few zip ties and putting a larger spacer in where the bow panels come together. Do not worry if the gap looks really big. It is no big deal to fill a fair sized gap. Just make sure the side panels are fair. Other than that your work looks good. In truth it looks good enough now to glue it together and then clean up the bow area with a sander.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

A lot of builders have used 3/4" pvc pipe, cut no more than an inch or so, to use as a clamp to help align the sides with the bottom pieces. It goes between the zip tie and wood so as you tighten the zip tie it forces the two ends to align with no overhang. Other than where the 4 pieces meet, the boat looks good!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PametBW »

Thanks to you both Fuzz and OrangeQuest.
As much as the seams look okay to my eye, the panels do feel like there is uneven pressure on them. I fussed around with the zip ties for a long time and it is easy to feel like I should just let go and move on to the next step. I am going to resist that urge and try using some 3/4" pvc. I am hoping that this is the first in a long line of boats so I would like to grow beyond cobbling things together (of which I have done a lot in my life...).
Learning what it looks like when the panels are fair is a little elusive to my eye.
Hope this is not too many details but I want to get to a point where I feel that I know what I am doing and to be able to contribute to this forum.
So... off to get some plastic and try to pull this together at a higher level.
Thanks again!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

This is a case where being a really good wood worker is almost a bad thing. Do not try for a perfect fit. Gaps are GOOD! You need room to get the epoxy glue in the gap. No two pieces of plywood will bend the same so two pieces might feel very different. The big thing you are looking for at this point is fairness. To get the bow panels right you might end up with a large gap at the bow. That is ok we can work with that.

PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PametBW »

After reading the two replies, it really made sense to follow the advice.
I picked up some 3/4" pvc (available in 5' lengths at local home center) and cut it into 1-3" pieces.
At first zip-tying them in felt awkward and frustrating, so I cut a few more zips and things started to come together much better.
It was especially reassuring to read Fuzz's last post about gaps being a good thing; without that I would never have had the confidence that things were getting better instead of worse.
The panels now feel much less wracked by the pressure of the zips, it feels more evenly distributed in different directions.
I think they are fair.
More than anything, I felt like I was having fun out there alone (with the pups) in the shop.
I feel grateful for this folks in this forum for the gifts advice and confidence.
fwd star zip2.jpeg
fwd star zip2.jpeg (112.11 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
fwd port zip2.jpeg
fwd port zip2.jpeg (105.06 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
bow zip2.jpeg
bow zip2.jpeg (116.26 KiB) Viewed 1503 times

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

That looks good! I like your workspace, too.

Don't mess up that wood floor with drips!
Hank

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Now that looks good :D You are ready to pre-wet the gaps and start glueing it together. If any gaps are too big to fill without the glue falling through just put some on it and let it firm up. Then you can go back and finish filling the gap. Putting packing tape on the back side would be better but it might be a real bear getting under the hull. I tend to over fill the gaps at this point as I would rather have to sand a little more than needing to go back and fill low spots.
Hank is right you need to protect that floor as you are going to get drips on it at every step along the way.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Looks great agree get some protection on that wood floor. Your boat looks very good now. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PametBW »

Thank you Pee Wee, Fuzz, and TomW1 - I really appreciate the observations and advice. I just made a quick trip to Chicago and came home planning to spot weld the seams tomorrow. It was really fun to turn on the computer and look at the responses in the forum. Your advice has me planning to:
1. Crawl under there and cover the seams between the zip ties with packing tape.
2.Spot weld using EZ Fillet. As I have never done it, I don't really know how to gauge the gap size; I don't see anywhere that I would consider "big" but I guess I will find out...
3.Figure out a way to protect the floor. I put high value on the shop, in part because I just finished building it this spring. An obvious solution would be tarps or thick plastic, but I am thinking about trying to find some old rugs. It might sound frivolous, but I very much enjoy the way it feels to be out in the shop. I also have two dogs who don't like slippery floors.
Is there anything I should know about EZ Fillet before I start mixing and applying it?
Does anyone have any recommendations for covering the floors?
Thanks Again!