Pamet FS14

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Pamet FS14

Post by Fuzz »

If it makes you feel any better the kids here will take a shot at just about anyone. :roll: The good news is it is all in fun, we try very hard to keep it friendly and run off the butt-heads :wink:

PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PametBW »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:02 pm If it makes you feel any better the kids here will take a shot at just about anyone. :roll: The good news is it is all in fun, we try very hard to keep it friendly and run off the butt-heads :wink:
Thanks Fuzz! Everything about this effort to learn to build boats has been fun, fulfilling, and rewarding so far, especially this forum. My only concern is that my bad sense of humor will get me kicked out!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

PametBW wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:57 pm
OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:46 pm Hmm? Are your reading glasses multiplying? One pair in one picture, 2 pair in another and then maybe 3 pair? You going to run out of sandpaper before you run out of reading glasses! :lol:

May want to stick with just one pair, before you are done, they will have epoxy on them.
Ah OrangeQuest, you're killing me. Of all my insecurities, not being able to see is the only one that I can afford to address. After reading your message, I counted 8 pairs scattered around my shop - not including the pair perched on the visor of my cap. Thanks for noticing, it is always nice to know that there is somebody looking out for me - even if it is for the purpose of abusing me...
Sorry, I was just ribbing you a little about your glasses being everywhere. I lose my on my head till I bump my head and they break. I have to wear glasses because I am far sighted in one eye and near sighted in the other and then have bifocals to read. But for boat building I use cheap reader glasses and buy them in different powers and even have a lighted magnify glass on an arm to see when I get splinters in my hands and fingers from the fine grain marine plywood.

Wait till your school age employees come to work and ask why you have a pair of glasses on top your head and wearing another pair. Hard to tell them because I lost one pair. :doh:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PametBW »

It sounds like we are cut from the same cloth.
Don't worry about hurting my feelings, that requires a serious effort. My reply was a clear example of my twisted sense of humor - I buy cheap readers in packs of three for $9 a pack. I scatter them as Hansel and Gretel spread breadcrumbs and give them away freely to the bank, post office, and any wayward soul who visits the shop...

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

PametBW wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:45 pm Don't worry about hurting my feelings, that requires a serious effort.
Challenge accepted!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Proof they are pretty easy going around here is they have failed to run me off in ten years.
Jaysen wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:32 pm
PametBW wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:45 pm Don't worry about hurting my feelings, that requires a serious effort.
Challenge accepted!
And with this I rest my case :D

PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PametBW »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:28 pm When you fill in the gaps, use enough putty to bring everything up enough to sand and round over for the tape.
Now you know how fast the epoxy mix (putty) takes to kick, mix only enough for you to handle before you run out of time. Fill in the gaps and low spots quickly and come back to make it look neat once you get all the putty where it needs to be.

Really looking good and coming along nicely.

I put two coats of primer on my FS14 hull today.
Thanks OrangeQuest. I hope that your two coats of primer went well. Is this a boat you are building now and do you have a build thread?

PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PametBW »

PametBW wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:01 pm The spot welding seemed to go pretty well. I learned several things after struggling with the mix heating up and stiffening during the application process. Moving forward I will measure the volumes in cups but dump then onto a board (is this called a hawk?) for mixing to slow down the reaction. I thought using plastic bags for the application process was okay for the spot welding. I used the mixing sticks to move the putty around once it was in place.
Spot welding is not the perfect name because the process ultimately filled in most of the seams.
Spot Welds Stern.jpg
Spot Welds Starboard.jpg
Spot Welds Port.jpg
Spot Welds Bow ish.jpg
The gaps that are left are either where the stitches were or places that I had blue masking tape warning me about stringers or frames below. The next task is to fill in these gaps.
Unless someone has advice or other ideas I feel confident to take the next steps.
I see the steps for this process as:
1. Put tape below the stitch gaps (where I could not put tape earlier because the stitches were there) to support the wet putty.
2. Slide some plastic in places above the stringers/frames and below the gaps to prevent inadvertently gluing the panels to the frame.
3. Fill in the gaps with EZ Fillet (which I now know how to pronounce...)

Looking down the road, I expect to be preparing to tape the outside edges. I understand this to mean using putty to round the outside edges to a 1/2" radius. I am currently trying to visualize the steps, tools, and techniques that I will need...?
Thanks to all of you, I am very grateful for this forum.
Filling the gaps seemed to go pretty well, up to a point...
The lesson that I learned is to begin at the keel and work outward and down. Another lesson learned the hard way, which seems to be my specialty.
I started with the bottom/side seams and the transom. Then I moved to the bow to work my way aft along the centerline. Of course reaching across the wet putty was pretty rough on the shirt that I was wearing. I don't have a good stool or platform to stand on and the putty was starting to harden by that time.
I decided to let it all harden overnight.
In the morning, I'll fill the gaps in the keel and build up the edges that are too square for the tape to lay smoothly.
On second thought, following the advice of this forum has given me evidence that I might be learning to do things the easy way. I have always wanted to learn from the mistakes of others instead of simply repeating them.
Thanks again!

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

PametBW wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:05 am In the morning, I'll fill the gaps in the keel and build up the edges that are too square for the tape to lay smoothly.
It may just be the way I'm reading what you are saying, but just in case . . . the way to achieve a rounded intersection that tape can lay over smoothly is to round the wood by whatever means you choose- sanding, rasping, routing. You are removing material, not building it up.

Your work is very neat and the fit of the panels is excellent. I'd assume you are going to get it right, but the above comment sounded odd! :help: :lol:
Hank

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

pee wee wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:48 am
PametBW wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:05 am In the morning, I'll fill the gaps in the keel and build up the edges that are too square for the tape to lay smoothly.
It may just be the way I'm reading what you are saying, but just in case . . . the way to achieve a rounded intersection that tape can lay over smoothly is to round the wood by whatever means you choose- sanding, rasping, routing. You are removing material, not building it up.

Your work is very neat and the fit of the panels is excellent. I'd assume you are going to get it right, but the above comment sounded odd! :help: :lol:
X2 :wink: