Pamet FS14

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Pamet FS14

Post by Fuzz »

I would put plastic down that covers maybe a foot under and two feet out from the hull. Make sure to tape the plastic down so it does not become a trip hazard. As for gap size I would not worry about it being too big. With backing tape I have seen gaps two inches big filled. Remember there will several layers of glass on both sides of the joint. You are doing good posting pictures. We all love watching new builds with pictures. :D

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:18 am I would put plastic down that covers maybe a foot under and two feet out from the hull. Make sure to tape the plastic down so it does not become a trip hazard. As for gap size I would not worry about it being too big. With backing tape I have seen gaps two inches big filled. Remember there will several layers of glass on both sides of the joint. You are doing good posting pictures. We all love watching new builds with pictures. :D
Indeed! I covered my whole garage floor with heavy black plastic, what is called 'visqueen' here, carefully taped down.
I also climbed under my hull and taped between ties.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

If you don't like the plastic idea for floor covering, try something like red rosin paper. It's a heavy paper that I've seen some home builders use to protect new hardwood floors during construction; it will feel better than plastic and won't be slippery. It comes in a roll three feet wide, so you'd have to overlap and tape all around.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TRIMACO-Eas ... /202040752
Hank

PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PametBW »

pee wee wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:59 am If you don't like the plastic idea for floor covering, try something like red rosin paper. It's a heavy paper that I've seen some home builders use to protect new hardwood floors during construction; it will feel better than plastic and won't be slippery. It comes in a roll three feet wide, so you'd have to overlap and tape all around.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TRIMACO-Eas ... /202040752
Thank you Pee Wee - this is a great idea! (I perused rugs and realized I had dramatically underestimated the cost...).

PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PametBW »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:32 pm Now that looks good :D You are ready to pre-wet the gaps and start glueing it together. If any gaps are too big to fill without the glue falling through just put some on it and let it firm up. Then you can go back and finish filling the gap. Putting packing tape on the back side would be better but it might be a real bear getting under the hull. I tend to over fill the gaps at this point as I would rather have to sand a little more than needing to go back and fill low spots.
Hank is right you need to protect that floor as you are going to get drips on it at every step along the way.
Fuzz - Thank you for the directions described in specific steps. I had read somewhere that it was good to pre-wet the gaps before beginning to fill them in. Today I was able to crawl underneath and tape the inside of the seams. Tomorrow I will pre-wet the with epoxy and then fill them with EZ Fillet. It is starting to look more and more like a boat.
Thanks again for the help.

PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PametBW »

The spot welding seemed to go pretty well. I learned several things after struggling with the mix heating up and stiffening during the application process. Moving forward I will measure the volumes in cups but dump then onto a board (is this called a hawk?) for mixing to slow down the reaction. I thought using plastic bags for the application process was okay for the spot welding. I used the mixing sticks to move the putty around once it was in place.
Spot welding is not the perfect name because the process ultimately filled in most of the seams.
Spot Welds Stern.jpg
Spot Welds Stern.jpg (108.56 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Spot Welds Starboard.jpg
Spot Welds Starboard.jpg (94.09 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Spot Welds Port.jpg
Spot Welds Port.jpg (104.83 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Spot Welds Bow ish.jpg
Spot Welds Bow ish.jpg (103.36 KiB) Viewed 645 times
The gaps that are left are either where the stitches were or places that I had blue masking tape warning me about stringers or frames below. The next task is to fill in these gaps.
Unless someone has advice or other ideas I feel confident to take the next steps.
I see the steps for this process as:
1. Put tape below the stitch gaps (where I could not put tape earlier because the stitches were there) to support the wet putty.
2. Slide some plastic in places above the stringers/frames and below the gaps to prevent inadvertently gluing the panels to the frame.
3. Fill in the gaps with EZ Fillet (which I now know how to pronounce...)

Looking down the road, I expect to be preparing to tape the outside edges. I understand this to mean using putty to round the outside edges to a 1/2" radius. I am currently trying to visualize the steps, tools, and techniques that I will need...?
Thanks to all of you, I am very grateful for this forum.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

When you fill in the gaps, use enough putty to bring everything up enough to sand and round over for the tape.
Now you know how fast the epoxy mix (putty) takes to kick, mix only enough for you to handle before you run out of time. Fill in the gaps and low spots quickly and come back to make it look neat once you get all the putty where it needs to be.

Really looking good and coming along nicely.

I put two coats of primer on my FS14 hull today.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The sides and bottom angles are not sharp enough to need a lot of rounding over. The sanding should round it over enough for the glass to lay well. Take a piece of glass tape and do a test. If it lays down well dry it will do the same when wet out. The transom area is pretty much a 90 degree bend and will need to be rounded over. You can sand it or use a router either way works just fine.
Things are starting to look a lot like a boat :D

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Hmm? Are your reading glasses multiplying? One pair in one picture, 2 pair in another and then maybe 3 pair? You going to run out of sandpaper before you run out of reading glasses! :lol:

May want to stick with just one pair, before you are done, they will have epoxy on them.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PametBW »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:46 pm Hmm? Are your reading glasses multiplying? One pair in one picture, 2 pair in another and then maybe 3 pair? You going to run out of sandpaper before you run out of reading glasses! :lol:

May want to stick with just one pair, before you are done, they will have epoxy on them.
Ah OrangeQuest, you're killing me. Of all my insecurities, not being able to see is the only one that I can afford to address. After reading your message, I counted 8 pairs scattered around my shop - not including the pair perched on the visor of my cap. Thanks for noticing, it is always nice to know that there is somebody looking out for me - even if it is for the purpose of abusing me...