Full Pilot house on a GS28X or PG25C Panga?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Full Pilot house on a GS28X or PG25C Panga?

Post by Matt Gent »

I spend a lot of time in a DE foam pilothouse and warm temps are a non-issue. Only need 3-4 kts of breeze and it ventilates well. Surely would be fine in Alaska.

IMO the Panga is too small for a functional pilothouse, much less for 4 people.

I’d think the GS would make a great pilothouse boat, just being careful not to move the Cg fwd too much. Based on the hull form it looks to me much more comfortable than a DE in heavier seas.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

I think intended use needs to be factored in when looking at the panga 28 and DE25 . The study plans say the Panga,s top priorities were economy and sea worthiness , without the pilot house it is a fishing machine , that was what it was designed for . The DE25 is a picnic hull , it is designed with some comforts , and would be great for both fishing and hunting trips . I did find some pangas with skinny pilot houses , 29' was the shortest of the bunch , so the 28 would be on the low end . There have been many times I have wished I had a jump cabin or pilot house here in the south . If I were in Alaska and building a boat in that size range a pilot house would be a must . If I were going to make a long run , purpose driven to fish or hunt I would have to go with the panga , 4 people could fit in a skinny pilot house . I would consult with J before I ruled it out , as it is listed as a build option .

barrelroll
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by barrelroll »

I think you guys have me convinced the panga isn't enough boat for my needs. I bought the gs28x and de25 plans. I've got 14 hopefully quiet night shifts coming up to do some research.

I forgot everywhere else doesn't have 50 degree rainy days in the middle of July. Just about every Alaskan fishing machine has an enclosure to get out of the weather, even my 17 footer has a windshield and full canvas enclosure.

We use our boat a fair amount, usually 200 hours a year on the main with a lot of time on the kicker and on the hook halibut fishing. Use goes from a close afternoon fishing trips to 150+ mile trips and staying on the boat for multiple day trips. Range needs to be a minimum of 150 miles + reserve, 300 miles would be perfect.

The more I read about the de25 I'm not sure if it's the right boat between the cruise speed and bad weather handling.

I need to do some more research on the gs28. A 6' long pilot house fits nicely on the jump cabin model. I think I can get pilot house weights down pretty close to the tower console and get fuel close to the same spot it is on an open boat.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Here's an overlay of the DE25 and PG25. The PG is a full foot more narrow at the station of the DE helm.

I've been in the DE in all kinds of water. I've always felt safe, but I've often felt uncomfortable. The shallow deadrise carries well forward, making for some hard slapping/pounding particularly in quartering seas. It would be great in larger period waves; we deal with a lot of wind chop. It does not want to broach (large keel, shallow entry). The skiff bottom is great that I can take fully-loaded trips with 140hp, but it comes with some compromise. I consistently get over 3mpg and carry 60 gal; 100gal would be easy to fit. Cruise depends highly on the water conditions; generally between 17-24mph is OK.

My ideal cruiser would be a Dorado 30 converted to pilothouse with a large single OB and a kicker; I think the GS28 is pretty close to that hull. Unfortunately the Dorados are really hard to come by.

barrelroll
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by barrelroll »

Matt Gent wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:31 pm
I've been in the DE in all kinds of water. I've always felt safe, but I've often felt uncomfortable. The shallow deadrise carries well forward, making for some hard slapping/pounding particularly in quartering seas. It would be great in larger period waves; we deal with a lot of wind chop. It does not want to broach (large keel, shallow entry). The skiff bottom is great that I can take fully-loaded trips with 140hp, but it comes with some compromise. I consistently get over 3mpg and carry 60 gal; 100gal would be easy to fit.

My ideal cruiser would be a Dorado 30 converted to pilothouse with a large single OB and a kicker; I think the GS28 is pretty close to that hull. Unfortunately the Dorados are really hard to come by.
Thanks for the response. We deal with lot of close 1-2 foot afternoon wind chop. We almost never see widely spaced rollers. I have a boat that's safe though uncomfortable in those conditions currently. That's why I was drawn to the gs and panga. Pounding into a 2' head sea for 15-100+ miles at 10-15mph is getting old.

Between the handling in rough weather and the common weather we have on the inside passage I'm thinking the de25 is too much of a paint shaker for me.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Why has no one mentioned the CX25 which can be stretch 10% to 27.5'. It is an ideal offshore fishing boat and has a full pilot house with sleeping area and kitchen for overnight trips. One buillder used a 300 HP motor on his build and had plenty of power. Recommended fuel tankage is 110 gallons but you could add more or less. Well food for thought. You won't have any paint shaking with this boat. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Tom ,The cs25 was mentioned but not the cx , i would agree it would be a better option than the de25 . A 27.5' CX25 would have the panga beat in the comfort zone for an overnight trip , it would be the other design I would be looking at if it can be scaled up and if beam wouldn't be an issue if it had to scale both L/B . Intended use and cost would dictate my pick as performance of either would do the job .

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jacques is pretty particular on scaling L/B, but this boat is already 8.5' wide, and he may let you get away with just length. Scaling width would take you to 9.3875'. Less than a foot wider. Since Jacques is retired ask Jeff to ask Jacques his opinion on scaling the CX. Or buy the kit as is and have the boat ready in a much shorter time.

Second concern on the GS28X. Even using Divinycell the added weight of that much of it plus the fiberglass and epoxy concerns me. You mentioned earlier the plans mentioned "a light pilot house defined by the tower dimensions." This would be nothing like you are planning. This is what Jacques considers a Pilot House. Though you can make yours much larger to encompass the tower. https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/wp-c ... 07/PH3.pdf You can put a head in it, heat it. Seats for passengers to get out of the wind and whatever. The main thing is that it is centered over the CG unlike your idea. You will still have your sleeping bunks up front, and it will cost less.

Well my thoughts for today. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

One option might be to build the pilot house with sitting head room , put a sliding hatch over the steering position if you want to stand . Cutting down height might let you build the pilot house a foot or so longer .

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

A foam and glass pilot house structure doesn’t weigh much at all. The bigger impact is the space you create to haul more crap along.

I’d be surprised if mine were much more than 200lb. The windows are the heaviest bit.

I’d build the house you want. I think the GS28 would be a great long distance platform for rougher water at moderate speeds.