Insurance

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Insurance

Post by TomW1 »

Jeff and Jacques guys who are building your boats are still having trouble finding insurance for there for their boats. I have asked you before to contact insurance company's so that our builders do not have to go through all the hassle, they go through to get their boats insured. I something is not done soon you will no longer be able to sell your plans. We have come to a sort of a crisis here. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Insurance

Post by fishgitr »

Out of all the homemade boats I've built, I don't ever remember having any issues with insurance. I used Geico mostly. I used someone else but I can't think of who that is currently.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The insurance issue is a local one. It only happens now & then in specific areas. Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Nor should it be the responsibility of the designer or a place of business that supplies materials to build something.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

The issue now is flooded market, so insurers can reject easily. There is nothing anyone can do, but hope your homeowners or some other boat insurer will cover it. Worse part is you build and then seek coverage; so lotsa risk which is what rightly bothers Tom. But Jeff is powerless.

Best we could do on the forum is sticky an insurance tab where guys post who underwrites their policy and the brokers.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr »

As OQ said, it's not really Jeff or jaqs problem. This topic has been beat around the bush a few times in the past. And if I'm not mistaken, Jeff went out of his way to call companies to check on insurance.

Build a boat to last and don't even get insurance. Build your house to last and don't get insurance. I get there are accidents that happen. There are a lot of repairing of a skiff you can do with the money you save on insurance.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:44 pm Best we could do on the forum is sticky an insurance tab where guys post who underwrites their policy and the brokers.
This is not a bad idea.

I want liability insurance for my build. Yes, the boat can be repaired but if the boat damages someone else's stuff, then I do not want a large liability issue on my hands. And some storage places require that much to use their facilities.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

fishgitr wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:28 pm As OQ said, it's not really Jeff or jaqs problem. This topic has been beat around the bush a few times in the past. And if I'm not mistaken, Jeff went out of his way to call companies to check on insurance.

Build a boat to last and don't even get insurance. Build your house to last and don't get insurance. I get there are accidents that happen. There are a lot of repairing of a skiff you can do with the money you save on insurance.
No insurance is not always an option. Not simply for capital preservation, but when using a marina; they require your insurance and even to be named on it.

For my boat, both for capital preservation and marina..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Some states (US) are going to be requiring it based on how a couple local lawyers are are reading a couple proposals. Really more of a tax grab and effort to control people’s lives in my personal opinion.

If you are crossing borders by water there are other insurance requirements. A lot of it environmental impact focused but required for non-emergency anchorage or passage through protected zones.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:16 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:44 pm Best we could do on the forum is sticky an insurance tab where guys post who underwrites their policy and the brokers.
This is not a bad idea.

I want liability insurance for my build. Yes, the boat can be repaired but if the boat damages someone else's stuff, then I do not want a large liability issue on my hands. And some storage places require that much to use their facilities.
There are a few "insurance" threads dealing with who builders have used for insurance, it seems every one or two years another one is started. A sticky would be good.

viewtopic.php?p=503402&hilit=insurance#p503402
viewtopic.php?t=65715&hilit=insurance
viewtopic.php?p=497352&hilit=insurance#p497352
viewtopic.php?p=469031&hilit=insurance#p469031
viewtopic.php?p=450417&hilit=insurance#p450417
viewtopic.php?p=440982&hilit=insurance#p440982
viewtopic.php?p=379206&hilit=insurance#p379206
viewtopic.php?p=374684&hilit=insurance#p374684
etc. etc.

It would be nice if all that information were boiled down to useful facts. I guess the older the information is the less reliable it would be, but it's a place to start.
Hank