Shark Eye Nav Lights

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Shark Eye Nav Lights

Post by joe2700 »

I boat a ton a night on a busy river, so I'll admit nav and anchor lights were a larger consideration for me than most. I wanted my nav lights to point straight and relatively even, but also be on the outside of the hull so I wouldn't catch glare from them. I did not want the beams to cross and look white to oncoming boats. That took a lot of extra work to make an inset for each one. I think most people would be perfectly happy to just put a nav light on the outside of that hull.

Here's what I did:
viewtopic.php?p=465162#p465162

Edit: I actually think the lights being angled too far inward is a bigger risk for you than being angled too far down. Can always tape the lights on there and connect them to a battery and see how it looks.

Edit2: You commented on that post I linked way back when so you already know the pita approach I took haha

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

joe2700 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:11 pm I boat a ton a night on a busy river, so I'll admit nav and anchor lights were a larger consideration for me than most. I wanted my nav lights to point straight and relatively even, but also be on the outside of the hull so I wouldn't catch glare from them. I did not want the beams to cross and look white to oncoming boats. That took a lot of extra work to make an inset for each one. I think most people would be perfectly happy to just put a nav light on the outside of that hull.

Here's what I did:
viewtopic.php?p=465162#p465162

Edit: I actually think the lights being angled too far inward is a bigger risk for you than being angled too far down. Can always tape the lights on there and connect them to a battery and see how it looks.

Edit2: You commented on that post I linked way back when so you already know the pita approach I took haha
Got it, Joe! I remember and respect your exquisite execution, but at this point in the build, I need an off the shelf solution. :lol:

How do like those bilge pumps? Working well for you?
fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:03 pm ps...I doubt 636' accurate...a theory and sorry Dan, I'll shut up now
Please don’t! The science answers then questions!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dan it is very hard to get Sharkeyes aligned. I have a more classic looking pop-up bow lights and a stern on the T-top. Well, the choice is yours. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:10 pm Dan it is very hard to get Sharkeyes aligned. I have a more classic looking pop-up bow lights and a stern on the T-top. Well, the choice is yours. Tom
I love the pop up bow light, but can't get it to fit without rearranging things.

I got these in the mail today and will see how they align. https://waveonemarine.com/products/stai ... shmountnav

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Update…

These are going back to Amazon. Spending a few extra bucks and some time so I can utilize a Sea Dog pop up LED.

Thanks for the input.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:32 pm Update…

These are going back to Amazon. Spending a few extra bucks and some time so I can utilize a Sea Dog pop up LED.

Thanks for the input.
There is a really nice-looking flip over too that if you have the space looks good. It's NOT just a few extra bucks.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Thanks for the input.
It is the right choice Dan.

Not sure I like the pop-up. On saltwater, pop ups are not best. They tend to get crudded up.

For a small skiff, another option is a Perko socket, then you can store the light down low and just add the light as needed. Mine is full time hot. When I put the light in the socket; it is on.. crude? Maybe, but I like it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:13 pm

Thanks for the input.
It is the right choice Dan.

Not sure I like the pop-up. On saltwater, pop ups are not best. They tend to get crudded up.

For a small skiff, another option is a Perko socket, then you can store the light down low and just add the light as needed. Mine is full time hot. When I put the light in the socket; it is on.. crude? Maybe, but I like it.
I built a custom mast for our nav lights on the canoe. But I also wired with a switch because you need only the 360 deg light when anchored and pulling and pushing something in a hole at night sounds dirty and hard to do.

Edit: last checked the contacts are still clean and crud free. But there is a drain in the bottom of the socket.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne