HB20 Build - Upstate NY

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: MT24 Build - Upstate NY

Post by TomW1 »

Josh if your thinking of stretching the Maia21 2-3' you might as well build the Maia24. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

jonlitts it sounds like you have come to a secure point in your life. With your two older boys they can help you whip out the Maia24 in a shorter time. Good luck and post some pictures as you build.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

TomW1 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:18 pm Josh if your thinking of stretching the Maia21 2-3' you might as well build the Maia24. :D

Tom
Hi Tom,

Yea I get that but I like the design and lines of the MM21 better lol. That’s the beauty of the build, it’s I. The eyes of the beholder. Might just call it the MM21+2

Josh

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jmk2000 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:59 pm
TomW1 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:18 pm Josh if your thinking of stretching the Maia21 2-3' you might as well build the Maia24. :D

Tom
Hi Tom,

Yea I get that but I like the design and lines of the MM21 better lol. That’s the beauty of the build, it’s I. The eyes of the beholder. Might just call it the MM21+2
you
Josh
Okay just be aware that you will need more wood more like the Maia24 needs. Just take the plans and multiply all the measurements by 10%. This will give you the 23' boat you want.

Tom

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

It sounds like you've looked at the options and made an informed decision. I agree that the MM21 has an imaginative, romantic look to it (I can picture Popeye on a boat like this), and the MM24 by comparison looks like a bloated whale (my opinion), or to be kinder, it looks plain. Adding two feet after the v-berths would probably work fine, but scaling up might be a better option. You could build the MM21 topside on a MM24 hull, as another way to go, but you'd lose the round stern.

Barraman went the route of scaling up and also completely redesigning the interior of his boat, and is (justifiably) proud of his accomplishment. Going that route means figuring out your own materials list, taking extra time, being less efficient with materials, but getting a boat that fits your wishes to a T.

Whichever way you decide to go, I applaud your efforts.
Hank

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Hi Jonlits,

Sorry my question kinda hijacked your thread there for a little bit. I hope your build continues. Can’t wait to see some more pictures and progress!

Josh

jonlitts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jonlitts »

Jmk2000 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:55 pm Hi Jonlits,

Sorry my question kinda hijacked your thread there for a little bit. I hope your build continues. Can’t wait to see some more pictures and progress!

Josh
No worries at all, my man. I love it. 8)

My kids have been hot on building an HB20, even over the Maia :lol: , so we may even do that one first. :help: :lol:
---
Jonathan

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Johnathan,

Good to go! Man one boat at a time! You’ll have 2 built before I do. Had to look up what the HB20 was. I want to start on my build but I’m not 15 days from my youngest moving into the dorms at college so I’m bleeding 🤑💰at the moment.

jonlitts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jonlitts »

Jmk2000 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:56 pm Johnathan,

Good to go! Man one boat at a time! You’ll have 2 built before I do. Had to look up what the HB20 was. I want to start on my build but I’m not 15 days from my youngest moving into the dorms at college so I’m bleeding 🤑💰at the moment.
Congrats dad! But yes, there is that pesky issue of finances! :lol: Interesting that you mention college, though... A large part of the goal here is taking a boat trip together before my 10th grader goes off to school, or at least is still interested in a trip. :lol: :wink:

So basically, with my unplanned move to a property needing it's own attention from me, time ticks by, and the MT24 gets further and further out of the question for this particular purpose. I'm all fine with a "work boat finish", but even that seems undoable before she's off to school. As a carpenter and cabinetmaker, I'm slightly more confident in getting an HB20 together in a shorter timeframe. Either way, we're excited for the build. We're very close to the Hudson here in upstate NY, which brings a bunch of travel possibilities.
---
Jonathan

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Those 2 years are gonna fly by Brother! She’ll be off before you know it. Times a ticking. I was looking at the HB20 plans and it really caught my eye too. Not as sexy as the MM21 but could definitely see it being an easier and more straight forward build. Regardless what you decide I love your dream and so happy your kids are onboard with the project! Can’t wait to see progress pictures especially if the kids are in them too. You’re making memories for a life time! Pick one and get to it. There is NOTHING wrong with a workboat finish. I’m thinking the same thing. It’s a boat. If it gets a ding I won’t loose my line if it happens.

Josh