GT23

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: GT23

Post by fallguy1000 »

I can't go along with no primer.

Even a single primer coat is like a sticky coat. The primer sticks to even slightly unsanded epoxy (think low spots). Then the ablative will also stick better to the primer than sanded epoxy. Ablatives are almost always applied before the primer cures fully (read directions).

Anyhow, ablative paint is intentionally a weak bond. You don't want a weak bond applied to no tie coat.

Ablative would not perform well on roller trailers either, so hope you are bunking.

Anyhow, my 2 cents.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

drbobopp@gmail.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by drbobopp@gmail.com »

Thanks for your quick reply.....

trying mainly to even out dimpling, today, i put a neat coat on her bottom, using FAST hardener....In places, things began to gel too fast (in the pot, on the roller. drips.....but once I got it spread out, the curing process slowed.....On the Second layer 2 hours later, stuff still tacky, I took yur advice and mixed in a bit of SLOW hardener. Also used smaller batches. Much better.

I'm gonna stop here. Several layers of epoxy, cloth, graphite (even if heavy-handedly), more epoxy....now primer and bottom paint.

Ok, i'll prime her first. Makes sense, and I prolly have enough two-part epoxy primer around to do it.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'm an expert user at this point with 350 gallons of use.

I'd never use fast for neatcoatinf a 23' bottom.

Good luck. I thing you need to buy the ablative before you prime. They are strict about hours after primer, ftmp.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495