RickW Ph18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Rrick411
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: RickW Ph18

Post by Rrick411 »

pee wee wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:18 am Routing plastic makes what looks like shaved coconut, except with static cling! If you need a big radius but the angle was greater than 90 degrees you could remove some of it with a router and fine tune with sanding, but I thought this conversation was about squaring up a radius with gel magic. :doh:

If all you need is a 1/16 or 1/8" radius, I would do it by hand. For a larger radius, a good technique is to begin by making a consistent size 45 degree angle, then make it round with a sander with a relatively fine grit. Much as I love routers, by the time you jump through the hoops necessary to use one on a boat, you could often do it by hand quicker.*

*That doesn't apply to things like hatches and bulkheads where a router is very handy.
Wasn't asking for the chines, was thinking about other applications and was just curious if I could use a router bit on it. Like on a hatch for instance.

Rrick411
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rrick411 »

Got reverse chines and strakes glued. Need to get outside and do a little sanding but the weather is not cooperating. I am trying to do any sanding in the garage. Ill get some pics posted in the next week.

My Golden does like the jig as a place to hide from the thunder.
https://community.boatbuildercentral.co ... b_Joey.jpg

Rrick411
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rrick411 »

Rrick411
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rrick411 »

https://community.boatbuildercentral.co ... ?pid=75756
Too much of this and not enough work on the hull the last few days do to rain.

Rrick411
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rrick411 »

Spent a few days correcting my mistakes, some of it hurt a little. I guess that's how we learn sometimes. I'm back to being ready to sand and start the fairing process.

https://community.boatbuildercentral.co ... play_media

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Boat is looking in good shape. That thing already looks fast!!!

Good luck with the rest of the build.

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Rrick411
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rrick411 »

I may look to sand tomorrow and begin fairing. Looking at the deepest low spot in the hull bottom that will need to be faired, It's along the transom, it looks to be about 1/4 inch. IS that to much to build up with fairing compound? Do I need to lay some glass in that low spot?

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I would lay some glass. 1/4" seems too much for fairing compound but would work with woodflour/resin mix. A little glass saves resin. Wait for others' ideas.

Dougster

Rrick411
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rrick411 »

I worked hard to get the bulkheads all level on the jig. From what I can tell, The transom was not level with the other bulkheads and is the reason the last 6 to 12 inches falls off to the 1/4 inch low spot along the transom.

Rrick411
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rrick411 »

Hey Guys, back at this hell they call sanding the fairing compound. At least the weather is cooler. There are a few places I did a shit job of putting down fairing, or laid it on too thick. When I end up with a deep scratch, do I need to keep sanding till I get all the way to the bottom of the scratch or can I just fill it? Will fairing compound bond inside it with out sanding in it? Can I wire brush it to get a good bond? https://community.boatbuildercentral.co ... album=2165