RickW Ph18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: RickW Ph18

Post by fallguy1000 »

I use 40 grit for all sanding or 60 if I'm out of 40.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Rrick411
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rrick411 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:36 pm I use 40 grit for all sanding or 60 if I'm out of 40.
The 40 definitely takes material off! I thought I was going to have to work this harder than I do. Well, I think anyway. LOL Call it a teaching moment. I definitely sanded off too much material trying to sand it smooth. at least I realized it and didn't do the entire hull. Just a small area aft of where the bow eye will be. I'll lay some more glass there. When we laid the full glass sheets on the hull, my son was handling the transom end and I was on the bow. He thought it just needed a 6 inch overlap on the transom like on the keel. I ended up with the glass about halfway down the transom, so i need to laminate more glass there anyway. I'll cut my strakes, glue them down, then do the glass for the strakes, bow area I screwed up, and transom. Sand again, and think about fairing and what I want to do for paint. Yes, I have a long board for sanding the fairing. I tweaked my back yesterday doing house work, so I might just chill today. IT's never carrying plywood or lifting heavy stuff, always sweeping or mopping the floor that gets me. LOL.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Yep that sweeping and moping is some of the most dangerous things a man can do! I try to avoid it as much as possible :D

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

It's ok to take some thickness off the edge of the tape or cloth, tapered on 2-3 cm, it will make overlapping or sanding easier, the rest of the cloth will be filled with fairing mix eventually.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

Rrick411
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rrick411 »

So I understand? Fairing mix, I bought the package with Quickfair ( Ez- fillet and Gelmagic adhesive too) is epoxy with microballoons? Easy to sand but it is still a strong epoxy?
I'll need to square up rounded corners along the chines. DO I use fairing mix for that or is a stuctural adhesive like Gelmagic (I assume that's like a mix with fibers and cab o sil?) better? OR do I use fillet?
I have mixed polyester resin and Cab o sil in the past for repairs but never used wood flour.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Rrick411,

The System Three Quick Fair is your fairing compound. It is an epoxy based fairing compound that is easy to apply and sand, easier to sand than mixing microballoons with epoxy.
I would recommend using Gelmagic to sharpen your chines/edges. The Gelmagic is going to be stronger and easier to shape due to its thickness.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Rrick411
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rrick411 »

Reid wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:16 pm Rrick411,

The System Three Quick Fair is your fairing compound. It is an epoxy based fairing compound that is easy to apply and sand, easier to sand than mixing microballoons with epoxy.
I would recommend using Gelmagic to sharpen your chines/edges. The Gelmagic is going to be stronger and easier to shape due to its thickness.

-Reid
Thank You

Rrick411
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rrick411 »

-Reid
Do you know if I can use a router to shape Gelmagic? Will it chip?

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Rrick411 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:06 pm

-Reid
Do you know if I can use a router to shape Gelmagic? Will it chip?
I think I remember it worked fine to router gelmagic, just made a mess. I'm a big fan of using a router to round over edges, but that said anywhere the chine is not a 90 degree angle it doesn't really work to do it with a router, so I ended up breaking the edge with sandpaper.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Routing plastic makes what looks like shaved coconut, except with static cling! If you need a big radius but the angle was greater than 90 degrees you could remove some of it with a router and fine tune with sanding, but I thought this conversation was about squaring up a radius with gel magic. :doh:

If all you need is a 1/16 or 1/8" radius, I would do it by hand. For a larger radius, a good technique is to begin by making a consistent size 45 degree angle, then make it round with a sander with a relatively fine grit. Much as I love routers, by the time you jump through the hoops necessary to use one on a boat, you could often do it by hand quicker.*

*That doesn't apply to things like hatches and bulkheads where a router is very handy.
Hank