First Time User QuikFair Review

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

First Time User QuikFair Review

Post by jbo_c »

Spent the last few days laying down and sanding QuikFair. Here are some thoughts:

1. It is mostly easy to work with. I say mostly because it has a “sticky” consistency both unmixed and mixed - along the lines of marshmallow fluff. That’s neither good or bad, but it did mean I had to protect my work area a little better.
2. The stickiness noted above makes it a little bit of a pain to measure out.
3. It seems to be very forgiving of mixing ratios. But coming off a mismeasured batch of epoxy, I was too paranoid not to measure somehow. I ended up using ice cream scoops(I thought that was pretty clever.).
4. I used mostly 285gm batches. That’s 4 scoops and 2 scoops or it was with my scoops.
5. It was very easy to fully mix. I stuck with my epoxy method of mixing first in one container(a cup) then a second container(a pie plate) to make sure I didn’t have a blob of one part or the other unmixed in the bottom.
6. At 90-93F, I would get about 12 ish minutes of work time out of it (after mixing)and was just able to effectively work the entire batch on a flat surface.
7. A 10” drywall knife worked well for me as a spreader.
8. When it starts to gel, it begins pulling when you draw the knife over it. Stop. You’ll only make it worse.
9. It is not as easy to sand as I expected, but it is FAR easier to sand than anything I mixed myself. I think my expectations were just off.
10. It does not feather any better than epoxy+glass beads/microspheres. - about the same.
11. Does not seem to leave any pinholes. - at least I haven’t found any.

Coverage: Highly subject to multiple variables of course, but my 285gm batches covered 15-18 square feet.
To put it in their sale-able quantities, 3 quarts did about 115sqft of area for me. That’s the exterior sides(2’) and unwetted portion of the bow(not bottom or transom)of a 22’x7’ boat.

I’m not doing a showboat finish, but my boat was pretty fair. That said, I sanded a good bit of my first couple of batches off. As a result, I made subsequent coats much thinner.

Will I use it again? Well, yes, at least the other 3 quarts I have. Seriously, though. I definitely would if I was going to pretend to be even close to a “nice” finish. I don’t think I would if I was going for full on work-boat finish, though it would probably be worth it to have a small kit of it on hand for quick touchups.

Maybe this will help somebody who’s trying to figure out if they want to invest in QF and at least ballpark what they need. It’s worth every penny you paid to read it. :)

Jbo

PametBW
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: First Time User QuikFair Review

Post by PametBW »

As someone who is preparing to use QuikFair for the first time, this is very helpful.
I especially appreciate it that you included tools that you improvised (ice cream scoop - Eve is going to have a problem with that...) or recommend (drywall knife makes perfect sense for the task but everyone seems to prefer auto-body tools).
The tip on letting it go when the knife is trying to start an avalanche totally got my attention.
It is also really helpful to know what size batches you use; I definitely need to start with a smaller amount.
I don't want to sound like I am critiquing your valuable post; I just think it is really valuable.
Thanks!

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Glad it was helpful. I’ve gotten lots of help here over the years. Happy to contribute and help somebody else.

Jbo

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Very helpful. Thanks.

How long was it on before sanding was more difficult than you expected?
Some people are heroes. Some others just want a pic
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
FB-11 Jean Bille in 2017, rebuilt '23

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I didn’t notice a big change in hardness/ease of sanding based on cure time. It was definitely sandable quickly as advertised, but longer didn’t matter much as far as I could tell.

Jbo