Maia 24 modification

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
PhilMcC
New Poster
New Poster

Maia 24 modification

Post by PhilMcC »

I’m considering a Maia24 build, but prefer the layout of the DE25. Wondering about changing the layout for the berths to allow pass through and move the head to the bow:
-Center the passage frame C and start the berths there with cleats and vertical panels to the hull.
-Raise the head sole if need and carry forward past frame B to Frame A.
-Modify frame B to carry the berths forward with a central cutout to the sole and continue the vertical side panels to and past Frame A as stringers.
-Move Frame A and the deck beam forward 7” to get 74” berth length and convert the circular opening to a vertical “U” to access the head on a raised sole.
-Create a new bulkhead at the location of the aft anchor locker or further forward and extend the berths to the aft surface with a cutout for the head on the forward portion of the berths. -Move the anchor locker floor down to the level of the berths.
-2 deck beams to the new bulkhead to allow headroom over the head.
-Extend the front cabin forward to the location of the new bulkhead and modify the deck beam at A to the cabin top.
Crazy or doable without affecting the structure of the forward section?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Maia 24 modification

Post by TomW1 »

I would not do it. The front bunk is already 82" long. The head is already in a place with semi-standing headroom. This is a well-designed boat and I really would not mess with the design much. The designer was a cruiser and put into this design what he felt what was needed in a cruising boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Boy that’s a lot of modifications. I’d contact the designer before diving into that kind of changes. Just my 2 cents. Although I’ll admit I’ve got the MM21 plans and debating on adding a foot to the bow to give a little more berth room.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Heads in the bow seldom make sense because of waves. Nobody wants to get launched from the throne when seated...also - there isn't enough room in the bow!
dude.jpg
dude.jpg (57.36 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

PhilMcC
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PhilMcC »

Hi Evan, Thanks.
Yes that looks uncomfortable! Possible to extend the berths to bulkhead C with a central entry and opening between port and starboard berths with the head in a cabinet under the berth? (Planning a moveable composter) Could bulkhead B be opened with a 3-6” remaining (or smaller reinforced) section under the forward roof/wall? (Planning core for the forward deck/wall/roof) I would like to use the area forward of the berths for storage etc.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Yes, that's more reasonable - but check the height of composting toilets. They tend to be too tall to fit under a bunk.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

PhilMcC
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PhilMcC »

Thanks Evan
I am considering an outboard bracket to enlarge the cockpit a bit. Reasonable and sane to construct the bracket vs off the shelf?

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

PhilMcC wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:17 pm Thanks Evan
I am considering an outboard bracket to enlarge the cockpit a bit. Reasonable and sane to construct the bracket vs off the shelf?
For a minimal bracket made out of stainless angle iron giving you a four to six inch setback, it's fine, but you'll have to offset the movement of weight by moving other weights. If you're considering a big bracket with a swim platform, etc., then no, it's not at all a simple project.
Hank

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

My feeling is if you can build a boat you can build a bracket.The trick is to plan for it from the start. The Daytrip method of running the stingers out through the transom makes the most sense to me. JM would not have anything to do with building them because too many things could go wrong that were outside of his control.