GV17

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Aussie Guy

GV17

Post by Aussie Guy »

Hi. New here. Been reading this forum for a couple of months now. I'm looking at a GV17 but have a few questions about it. I'm looking to build a tiny houseboat. I want around 17 or 18 foot. Huge carrying capacity for water, food etc, stable platform and a deck space that is very stable. I don't want to plane. I want to use under 10hp at 5 or 6 knots. I prefer the V hull for estuary and bays.
Concerns. Bow wave in pics ( have an idea to attach 2 pieces of timber each side of V in an upside down V shape to push water back down to center before it gets deflected and sprayed outwards by outer hull. Just a thought )

Don't want people telling me to build something else blah blah blah unless you can come up with same size boat, deck space, deck shape, V hull and huge displacement.

So is the GV17 fit for my purpose? Just needs to putt along nice and easily and push against some tides.

Cheers.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: GV17

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'm not sure 10hp will work with windage and tidal current. Keep in mind a current is basically a direct and can be opposing force. Add a 10 knot headwind and a 3 knot current and the boat might really have awful weather helm. If you don't know what that means; it is when the power is insufficient to keep the bow true on a course. The boat can zig zag and be a nightmare in headseas.

Fortunately, the designer of the GV is Evan Gatehouse, iirc, and he can comment best.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Seems to me that’s asking a lot for a GV17. Somewhat specifically thinking about head room. Your cabin would be a fair amount taller than the beam of the boat unless you’re thinking of a pop top or only sitting/crawling when you’re inside. Stability could be a real issue.

You’ll get good advice from the folks here. Even if you don’t like it or disagree, make sure you consider it well.

Hope to see you document your build on here.

Jbo

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Hi,

I'm actually not the designer, Jacques was.

10HP is lots, but consider using an outboard specifically designed to push a displacement boat. Both have 2.42:1 reduction ratio in the lower unit to turn a big, slow turning prop, which is ideal for slow heavy boats.

Yamaha 9.9 high thrust with 11-3/4" prop
Mercury 9.9 bigfoot

I regularly use the Yamaha on a 6000# 27' sailboat. Lots of windage due to mast and roller furling sail on forestay. No problem pushing it along at 5 knots into strong headwinds.

When you say "houseboat" I get a bit worried. A cuddy about 1/2 the length of the boat you can crawl into and get out of the weather and sleep on a foam mattress? Sure. And built it from 4 or 6mm plywood and don't stand on it.

A big box you can stand up in and fill with furniture, a small galley, etc. NO way. Just not stable enough for that sort of thing.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

For a motor size a 9.9 would do what the builder desires. My calculator shows a top speed of 13MPH with a displacement of 2500lbs. I would not recommend anything less than this to overcome wind and tides. I would not add the extra wood you are talking about as you will only be at low speeds, and it will not be a factor. If anything, add spray rails on the outside.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Aussie Guy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Aussie Guy »

Thanks for the input guys. When I say a tiny houseboat I mean a cabin space of approx 2.6 x 1.8 meters with a pop to canopy bringing head clearance over 1.9m for close to 2m of cabin. As the outboard well is huge on the gv17 I will reduce it's size adding more deck space. I should manage a 1m rear deck covered by a full standing height hard top and option for soft covers. Ideally a 15hp with forward controls would be great but depending on budget I will start with a 10hp with extended tiller. Interior I want full standing shower toilet at rear of cabin so cubicle will be built to cabin height and a separate tent attached to inside of pop top roof that gives enclosed standing room head at rest. I have scribbled down a finger painting of rough looks but I will get it cad designed and CNC cut for most of cabin and interior. I want a boat that will cruise happily using close to 1.7l of fuel an hour with a 800w solar setup running 2x lithium 100ah batteries and a trolling motor of 60lb to use mostly when calm on estuary and to run all electrical stuff like lights, 2x 50l fridges, 12v tv, fans etc etc. Any input on outboard well? Downloaded some info today and it says 40hp motor only needs 552mm well. So I'm thinking go smaller and build to take up to a 25hp?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Sorry, Evan. Not sure why I had you pegged as the Garvey designer.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Aussie Guy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Aussie Guy »

Would anyone here give me the list of tools needed. I have basics like circular saw, jigsaw, multi tool, and multiple sanders etc. Looking at plans and curves what items are needed there to trace out onto ply and name of them? Sorry not a woodworker. Mechanics is my thing. I realize I will need to buy a lot of clamps etc. All fiberglass stuff comes in package with rollers etc. My main concern it getting it cut right to begin with.

Aussie Guy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Aussie Guy »

Also the tool/scribe name to copy profiles. Example getting curve of hull onto ply for cupboards and things.

Aussie Guy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Aussie Guy »

I bought my first few sheets of 12mm ply today. Decided to go gaboon for weight savings and make up for cabin weight. Gaboonv16kg sheet. Meranti almost 24kg a sheet. Save 56kg just in 12mm ply I think. Bloody expensive here $232 aud a sheet. Crazy.