More V - C-series

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: More V - C-series

Post by TomW1 »

Johnston thanks for answering my question. The CS23 or CS25 would be the boat I would recommend for you. It is designed for the very hazardous waters off of our North Carolina outer banks, some of the most dangerous in the world.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

duplicate
Hank

Johnston
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Johnston »

BarraMan wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:26 am
Johnston wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:27 am CS23 or Abaco 23?
I think the only boat here that will meet your requirements is the Carolina Sportsfish in either 23' or 25'. A wave breaker on it would make it even more seaworthy!

The Abaco 23 hull is actually very similar in specs to how my boat (modified Mangusta 20) turned out, and as you can see above you need to be very careful taking that boat out of semi-sheltered waters!

What are regarded as good off-shore boats in this part of the world generally have at least 21 degrees of deadrise at the transom.
Are your sea conditions very different? I am trying to understand why in one part of the world a 12 degree deadrise on the C series is deemed an offshore boat and where you are boat designers have deemed 21 degrees better?

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

Johnston wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:19 pm
BarraMan wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:26 am
Johnston wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:27 am CS23 or Abaco 23?
I think the only boat here that will meet your requirements is the Carolina Sportsfish in either 23' or 25'. A wave breaker on it would make it even more seaworthy!
The Abaco 23 hull is actually very similar in specs to how my boat (modified Mangusta 20) turned out, and as you can see above you need to be very careful taking that boat out of semi-sheltered waters!
What are regarded as good off-shore boats in this part of the world generally have at least 21 degrees of deadrise at the transom.
Are your sea conditions very different? I am trying to understand why in one part of the world a 12 degree deadrise on the C series is deemed an offshore boat and where you are boat designers have deemed 21 degrees better?
Sorry, I think you are going to need a naval architect to answer that! :D

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Johnston wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:19 pm
I'd suggest going into Jaccques post history and search posts under his account on seaworthiness.

Deadrise is well down on the list of important factors.

The OD18s were designed to run inlets, and at least one has been taken across the gulfstream from Georgia USA to the Bahamas. Cracker Larry got caught out in 12' breaking seas, galeforce winds and at night when a surprise storm blew up. It got home safe when bigger boats were sinking because it was well built and very well skippered. It has a completely flat bottom and low sides but is obviously seaworthy. You just don't go fast in rough conditions.

My C17 is a bit more than 5m long. It's well built, and seaworthy. The Pangas are seaworthy. The C series are seaworthy, as are the CS23 and up. The FS17 is seaworthy.

The single most important factor is the skipper. If you build it well and skipper it carefully any boat you are considering will be seaworthy. It's not a factor of how far offshore you go, it's a factor of knowing the weather, the conditions and knowing when to come home, and when not to go out.

Deadrise is more to do with how fast you plan to go in waves. If 2'+ short period waves are common where you are, and you want to go at speeds of 35 knots in them, then the more vee the better. If slowing down to 15-20 knots is fine, then a Panga will do it well, and with less pounding. The C series are a bit of a compromise with both slow speed handling and speed potential. The Carolina series are bigger boats again and take bigger outboards.

Stop worrying about deadrise and ask yourself how far you plan to go in what kind of conditions. And how much you can spend on an outboard, and the fuel for it. Then build the biggest boat that you can.

I'd still recommend the Pg25, especially if you don't plan to go fast in chop. At semi displacement speeds it should have the smoothest ride in waves. It was explicitly designed to be so.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OneWayTraffic brought up a couple of points in that how big is your budget and how big are the sea states you will really be meeting when you go out. The C21 will be fine with a 150HP motor while a CS23 requires a 250HP motor increasing your budget and gas cost. As far as the sea states if they are less than a 3 a C21 will not have to slow down much if at all. If you are going to being to meet sea states over a 3 then the CS23 is your boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Johnston
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Johnston »

I have been reading about Albury Brothers boats during my investigations into “smooth riding boats” - which second to sea worthiness is the thing I am after.

I understand that a flat bottomed hull like an OD18 can get you home safely - but slowly - or you will be pounded a lot.

What hull design here will most approximate an Albury brothers ride? Or is this just marketing hype?

I see they have a deep v at the front that flattens - is this a feature of the C series?

Regarding engine size I think up to 150Hp is ok for me not more

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

If you want a max of 150hp the the C19 is probably closest to an Albury design!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I agree with Barraman the C19 with a 115 or the C21 with a 150 would be your best choices, the C21 would be more seaworthy due to its longer length. Deep V at the bow and a reasonable V at the transom. As I recall the V at bow is close to 42 degrees. But do not quote me on that. I measured it when I got my plans but that was many years ago.

Tom

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Also look at the GS28 - you will be fine with a 150HP on that boat and it will give you a better ride into a head sea than the C series as it’s got a deeper V up front.