My steel wheel

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.

Change the wheelyes to something less conductive?

Yes
No votes
No
20%
Big baby; it is only lightening
80%

Total votes: 5

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

My steel wheel

Post by fallguy1000 »

I've got a recycled steel steering wheel from the 1974 Starfire. It has reconditioned teak spokes and is pretty amazing.

But.

In a lightening storm; it is terrifying to stand under the tower holding the wheel.

Should I change it?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: My steel wheel

Post by Jaysen »

A LOT of sail boats have that wheel. Or all steel wheels. I can’t imagine you’re at more risk than a giant, floating lightning rod.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

I don't sail or have a boat that's finished but I subscribe to quite a few sailing channels on youtube (between here and the channels I live vicariously) and basically ditto what Jaysen said.
Every single sail boat that I have seen or watched has a metal wheel.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:26 pm A LOT of sail boats have that wheel. Or all steel wheels. I can’t imagine you’re at more risk than a giant, floating lightning rod.
I did not enjoy holding the wheel under the vessels hoghest point.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

I was pouring concrete and lightning hit the building next to us , it jumped to the crane and got those of us that had hands on the bucket , not good when it happened , or the next day when I couldn't bend my arm . After that we tied a rope on the handles of our concrete buckets in case it got cloudy , i don't know if it would've helped , but it made us feel better when pouring concrete in a thunder storm . You could make some wood grips to fit on the wheel , or a knob like some people put on a steering wheel in the old days , and you may feel better when the weather gets bad . But the truth is if lightning hits anywhere on your boat you are not going to feel good that day or the next . The two options I have always taken in a boat when lightning is to either drop anchor and get as low as I can , or haul ass and get out of it as fast as I can , I have never liked either option .

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Florida has some pretty good lighting in the summer. Been on an aluminum hull cat boat when lightning was popping the water close enough to see steam rising. I was working in a SunTrust bank in Temple Terrace, Florida in about July, 2002. No front door and the BR window at the drive up wasn’t in yet. A friggen massive lightning bolt went through the front door opening and out the BR window hitting a live oak tree in the rear of the building. There were two guys working above the ceiling grid on step ladders who were unharmed. My thought process is a steel wheel is ok, if it’s your time to check out then it’s your time to check out. I have a steel wheel on both my boats…
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:14 am
Jaysen wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:26 pm A LOT of sail boats have that wheel. Or all steel wheels. I can’t imagine you’re at more risk than a giant, floating lightning rod.
You could also keep a thick pair of rubber gloves onboard. :D
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:01 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:14 am
You could also keep a thick pair of rubber gloves onboard. :D
The flash is also a great test of one’s reflexes. Perfect time to release the wheel and grab a cocktail.😎
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12

cape man

Post by cape man »

The steering has gone out on No Excuse. When looking at how to remove the helm I discovered where Larry had grounded the helm and the T top to the main ground bus bar. Does this help?
20231027_092319.jpg
20231027_092340.jpg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

cape man wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:11 am The steering has gone out on No Excuse. When looking at how to remove the helm I discovered where Larry had grounded the helm and the T top to the main ground bus bar. Does this help?
I seriously doubt the ground to the battery would make much difference if the t-top or helm gets zapped by lightning and you are holding on to either one. The lightning is going to try to get to the water. If it goes through you, it’s still going to try to get to the water.
Richard