Landing craft, quad sized.

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Landing craft, quad sized.

Post by Netpackrat »

I am considering buying a property with no direct road access on a lake. Since it's never too early to think about what kind of boat to use, the design brief is for a landing craft that would be trailered to the public access boat launch, and then loaded with a quad ATV or building materials, for an approximately 15 mile trip to said property. The ATV probably weighs about 650 pounds as currently equipped. I am not looking to take the boat on the ocean, so big enough to safely transport, load, and unload one ATV is big enough. Since the distance is not too long, if I find myself needing to ferry more than one ATV (or other equipment) later on, multiple trips shouldn't be a big issue. I would like to keep it simple and stay with tiller steering. Trying to stay somewhat agnostic on the building material... Stitch and glue would be fine nor would I be opposed to building in aluminum (I realize this is not the site for that, but somebody here may know of a design). Whatever works.

I didn't see much on BBC... There is the GT series that could maybe be reconfigured and built sans cabin, but those are probably larger than I am looking for. Devlin has his 23 foot Mud Dauber landing craft which would be a good boat, but is also larger than I am really after. I found an aluminum 18 footer on Specmar that looks cool, and is more along the size I was thinking.

https://www.specmar.com/aluminum-boat-p ... craft-1520

On the other hand, it's also shown loaded with 2 quads and a 3 wheeler (I used to have a 200X like that!), so it's possible an even smaller boat would do, especially given the speed they say it is designed for.

So my thought is no smaller than 16-18 feet, possibly slightly larger if needed for stability. Speed isn't really a huge priority but big freshwater lakes up here can get pretty rough in bad weather. The door opening in the front should ideally be 50" wide. The quad is a little narrower than that, but I have a trailer to tow behind it which IIRC has an overall width of 49" (I built it to fit over the state's footbridge in McCarthy where our last cabin was, which would only allow a 51" wide vehicle to pass). But if that becomes a sticking point it would be easy enough to build a second trailer and leave one out there. I might do that anyway. I probably need to plan on being able to haul sheets of plywood for cabin construction too (not at the same time as quad of course).

I'm also open to simpler answers... If for example, anyone has loaded their ATV on and off a regular jon boat (or whatever), I would love to hear how that went.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Landing craft, quad sized.

Post by Jaysen »

What about a Texas sled type (tx18) and load ramps? Only issue might be running it on choppy days but… slow down?

Second thought goes to GV series with ramps, cut down frames. Might be a bit tippy though. Better for choppy water.

Down here folks just drive the 4wheeler into the Carolina skiff or Boston whaler with the same ramps they used to get it on/off the truck. Not pretty boats they are using but… no fancy door on the boat.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

Seems to me that one of the HB plans (eg 16 or 18) could be made into a useful landing craft! :D

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I've seen lots of Honda's loaded on 18ft lunds. Like Jayson said just beached sideways and rampes up the sides.

I haven't read up on any of the specs lately but what about the 20ft utility plans bbc sells?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Take a look at the GV15 and the GV17. You will need to get rid of the consoles in each, but both carry a load of weight for their size. But you have built enough boats to know how to modify them.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

I would look at a modified 18/20 house boat plan with a drop bow , low hp . You will end up needing to haul material for as long as you own the property , and the house boat will give you added sleeping space .

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Modifying one of the houseboat series would have the advantage of the flat bottom being able to trailer on a regular flat utility trailer, so I could put the quad and building materials on the same trailer, since I am probably not going to be able to easily load the quad in the boat as it sits on a trailer in my driveway. Having the boat unloaded would be easier for launching, too.

Hauling material would definitely be an ongoing need. Goal for the first year would be to get a landing/loading site figured out, and maybe a dock built. Sites for cabin and outbuildings located, maybe a basic shed built that can serve as a bunkhouse until a cabin is built. Trail between the cabin and landing site if needed. My D5 would most likely end up living out there full time, and maybe one of my canoes too. Doubt if I could get the landing craft sorted the first year.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

The house boat hull should be a fast build , no cabin gives you a barge and a nice area to pitch a tent .

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

I don't think this is manufactured anymore, but it looks pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PxF0N4TzWE