Anybody fabricating their own windows

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Anybody fabricating their own windows

Post by jbo_c »

Looking for ideas for making my own simple open/close windows for my shanty/houseboat. Anybody done it/seen plans or videos?

I’m sure “why” will be somebody’s(maybe lots of somebodies’) initial response. The answer is, well, “because”. :) I mean, after all, I’m building my own boat and there are plenty of those out there to be bought too.

I’m looking for something dead simple. Have even toyed with the idea of essentially leaving finished holes in the cabin walls and making frames with screen and plexiglass-glass that could be swapped in and out depending on temps. That thought is still on the table, but being able to partially open would be more convenient.

The only real requirement besides option for screened or glass at will would be “mostly” waterproof. I mean, this boat is for sheltered water, so I’m not worried about a wave busting in, but I would like to have minimal water intrusion during your average summer pop thunderstorm. There will be a 6” overhang above them, so probably if they’re tight enough not to chatter in the wind and there’s a way to direct water out rather than in, they’ll be fine.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Jbo

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Anybody fabricating their own windows

Post by fallguy1000 »

Not operating.

Fixed windows, yes.

The challenge is operating units need seals.

Sliders need drains.

It all gets rather complicated.

Was at a houseboat remodel yesterday and they are installing cheap jeld wens.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Not opening ones but lots of boats around here use reverse angled front windows made out of Lexan. Make them bigger than the cutout and mount on the outside. Works well to keep them from getting punched out by greenies. :D

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Have you considered roll-up windows like isinglass? Snap on and off.
Hank

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Good thought PeeWee. Can’t get much simpler. I’ll keep that in the hopper.

Jbo

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Box frame mounted on inside cabin. Smaller box frame window. soft closed cell foam half round for seal inside cabin frame. Pair of little thumb screws mounted to the cabin frame that flip into place to press box frame window into the cabin frame seal. The window would be bigger than the cabin opening. Could glue the frame to the glass, but the box frame and the cabin frame take the stress. Box in a box but smaller box can't go through because the cabin opening has the same size opening as the window frame. Make sense?

Want to have the windows stay on to adjust open/closed. Add a slotted guide, (inside) on top and bottom, dowel pins for the window to stay in the guide. Screen window could be a small box frame screen that you have to open window fully, pop in screen, which designed correctly you could still adjust window opening, just cannot water seal till you remove the screens.

but I have never built one. seems to work ok in my head. :doh:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Not following you, OQ. Will have to try again in the morning when my brain is fresh.

Sounds like it might be vaguely similar to one I have in my head. I saw it somewhere, so can’t claim it’s original, but it is fairly clever. The drawing is mine.

Jbo
Attachments
IMG_8248.jpeg

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Red is the box frame that attached to the cabin wall.
Blue is the box window
Green is the cabin opening.

Since green is smaller that blue, blue presses against green surface, but held in place and aligned with red. The box window frame can be as thick as needed to apply equal pressure to all sides and edges when pressed against the foam seal without distorting. Two small thumb screws that fit in slots in the window frame and presses the window frame tighter to the cabin wall. Sealing surface would be the plexiglass and the cabin wall, with opening in the center. Take the glass away and the window still presses against the cabin wall.

Since the window frame has to slide into the cabin frame, the slot starts 90 degs away from cabin frame then turns parallel with cabin wall.

Make anymore sense?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne