BASIC electrical system info.

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

BASIC electrical system info.

Post by jbo_c »

My boat will have a dead basic electrical system. I foresee a single starter battery for the outboard and probably a single house battery.

House battery will really only power running/anchor lights and a couple of LEDs inside. So could be just power for a handful of LEDs. Really, I could probably just have each of these self contained and all but eliminate wiring. Except, I’d like to be able to charge cell phones and use/charge a laptop computer. I am able to work remotely and would like to occasionally take advantage of that for cruising.

A) what’s the simplest way to charge/power the laptop for several days at a time while remote? I suppose a small generator of the correct type would do, but seems like overkill for just a computer.

B). Is there a simple book to recommend for the correct answers for stuff I really do need to know? I’ve rewired a house, but know nothing about DC or marine or solar(if that’s a workable option). On the other hand, there’s no need for me to get bogged down with large complex systems either.

Thanks.

Jbo

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: BASIC electrical system info.

Post by fallguy1000 »

Power demands for a laptop are not high, but way easiest to provide AC using an inverter. Inverter losses are about 15-20%.

You only need a generator for refridgeration.

What is the engine plan for the boat?

I can help, but need the basics..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Every hot wire, except the starter, in a boat, is fused, done right,

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:38 am Power demands for a laptop are not high, but way easiest to provide AC using an inverter. Inverter losses are about 15-20%.

Is that so? I run a fridge and a separate freezer in my SUV off an inverter!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

BarraMan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:27 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:38 am Power demands for a laptop are not high, but way easiest to provide AC using an inverter. Inverter losses are about 15-20%.

Is that so? I run a fridge and a separate freezer in my SUV off an inverter!

Your suv has a big engine and alternator!

HE WANTS TO RUN A LAPTOP!

come on Lee, you need a coffee or somethin

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Engine will initially be an older Evinrude Fastwin, so likely no help there, but will eventually be a newer 4 stroke high thrust in the 9.9-25 range. Don’t know what the lag will be in the change to the newer motor. Will depend heavily on usage of the boat and effectiveness of the Fastwin.

Jbo

Would love to see A/C in the future, but it’s just not feasible based on vessel size and power(generator) demand.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

A typical laptop uses 60-110 watts (edited)

using 110v, this is 1 amp

EDIT. I did not multiply this by the hours and go into consumption as was trying to keep it simpler to size the inverter needed

But you always size up the inverter a bit to say 150w.

You can buy them for 20-120 bucks on amazon.

The way a boat system works is simple.

The negatives go to a busbar.

The hots to a fuse panel. All wires are fused; so the power from the house battery is fused and goes to the fuse panel.
Last edited by fallguy1000 on Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I don't know the potential problems, but wouldn't solar be an easy way? I've seen people charge their phones with teeny solar panels (probably not quickly), but if the voltage is right it seems plausible.
Hank

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

How much solar would it take to keep the house battery topped off? Feasible to keep both systems entirely separate and have solar for house and engine only maintain the starting battery?

Jbo

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I'll be the a$$ hat on this.

You already have fuel on board. For the price of a proper solar charger to maybe keep up with your day time demand on perfect days, you can buy a very very quiet (and small) Honda generator to run a charger/conditioner and/or inverter. The simple path is the right path in this case.

That said, spend about $2k in panels, charge controller and LiPO batts and you can do it with solar/wind but you will have to go a couple days with no use to get batts topped off. Inverters are WAY less efficient than folks think they are.

For the record, I'm doing the "full solar" thing for an off-grid project chicken coop/food plot. Dumbest idea I've ever had. pretty sure it would be smarter to just pay for power on the lot.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.