Lithium Retrofit

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Lithium Retrofit

Post by narfi »

pee wee wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:44 am You must not have taken pictures of the bad parts, because that all looks good.
I just went out to turn on the heaters and took a couple "bad pictures" for you.

The mess in front and behind me :)

The TV sits above the nav desk but it's removed for access. I still plugged it in and can have a basketball game going while I work.

The void above the ice maker where I installed the controllers is about 24"x24 and access is through the speaker hole in the front or through a door at the desk then over a small wall. No matter which way I go in it's awkward and often an arm from both directions working blind. Probably why I bent that communication port pin.
20240224_110647.jpg
20240224_110703.jpg
20240224_110910.jpg

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Tell us a little more about Lake Clarke, how close it is to any salmon fishing, what kind of fishing is there and the price for renting the boat for a week or 5 days, etc.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:37 pm Tell us a little more about Lake Clarke, how close it is to any salmon fishing, what kind of fishing is there and the price for renting the boat for a week or 5 days, etc.
The salmon run in Lake Clark :) Northern Pike, lake trout, grayling, etc...

I don't have many good fishing pictures, but take a look at the video at the top of this page for a lodge that is opening up on the lake here.

https://lakeclarklodgealaska.com/experi ... ional-park

There is a good list on the Park website as well for the kind of fish here.

https://www.nps.gov/lacl/planyourvisit/fishing.htm

Our list prices for full charter up to 6 guests including everything except for flights and alcohol is $16k for 3night/4day and $24k for 6night/7day starting on Sundays and Wednesdays. Anyone from this site would get a good discount off that, and we can do by the cabin if needed as well, but it's cheaper per person if 6 rent the whole boat. That's crew, chef, food, internet, etc... they also act as guides for the shore excursions. We don't do bareboat rentals, our crew is always with it rather that's me or hired.

That's cheaper per person than a lot of the lodges around here, but we don't do any fly out stuff, it's all on the lake here so kind of an apples to pears comparison.

For hardcore fishing one of those lodges would be better, but for a relaxing adventure with something for everyone I think we are the better choice.

Of course we can still focus on fishing if that's what the guests are looking for.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

It sounds awesome, but I'd have a hard time getting 6 people. I want to do salmon and grayling.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:14 am It sounds awesome, but I'd have a hard time getting 6 people. I want to do salmon and grayling.
Perhaps a BBC group will fall together for an epic meetup here at some point :)
Knowing you are interested I might message you at some point if we have a partial boat booked that alligns with your interests.

Wakespeed regulators arrived yesterday.
Landon heated the boat for me after school and I went out after a quick dinner to do something productive. Had one last firmware update I thought I would do quick first. The Multiplus inverter/charger. It had a warning that it would reset values to default and I would need to download config file before up update and upload it again after. Simple enough right?
Screenshot_20240226-173643_VRM.jpg
Update went smooth and went to update the config afterwords and clicking on the upload button on the app wouldn't let me select a file. I googled a bunch and couldn't figure it out. Meanwhile the inverter was working fine but the charger wasn't charging the single start battery I have wired into the system while I'm changing everything over for the new install. Loads were coming half from the battery and half from shore power.

I shut off the heaters and lights and went into the house and used my laptop. It seems the configuration can only be done on a laptop and easily created a new configuration file with a battery profile and uploaded it and everything was working and charging properly again. (Now I know I'll need to do that when I plug in the new batterys as well)

I don't have any solar installed yet but it's interesting looking around the app which has a solar irradiance forecast (I assume based on gps* location?)
Screenshot_20240227-055026_VRM.jpg
Panels are rated at a "peak solar" rating of 1000w/m2
So 200 means the panels would put out about 20% of their rated power. So 3hrs over 200 would give me about 60% of rated power for today if I had them installed. 2400 * 60% = 1440wh

These things always get me thinking about ideal off-grid power management here. Solar isn't very practical in the winter here. But it's cold in the winter here, so a combination of solar and diesel generator with heat recovery loop instead of radiator seems ideal to me. Our village power plant which I work part time for heats the community building (clinic/post office/firetruck garage) as well as the school and teacher housing complex all with waste heat.

*GPS - the cerbo recognizes the raymarine devices but I couldn't figure out how to get any of the data from them. I plugged in a USB GPS dongle to the USB hub and the Cerbo sees it fine, so may just leave that installed. It also seems my raymarine plotter may be too old to show the html5 "apps" from the Cerbo, but like I had mentioned earlier that wasn't my goal with the system so I won't put much effort into that until all the practical stuff is done. It uses lighthouse 2 operating system and I believe they want light house 3 or newer for the html5 apps.(I think) but supposedly it's pretty much plug n play for the newer main brand plotters/mfds.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I installed a Raymarine Axiom 9 and a Furuno tzt12L in the same place. The Raymarine would not pickup GPS with an antenna, so I backfed it with the Furuno data which is flawless thus far, no antenna.

The river is too small for me to setup my autopilot full config, but I can run the AP on a small course like straight lines a mile away once we get to wider river areas.

I have Cerbo on my boat and a wifi. The nicest thing about my boat is I can check systems status from home and check security cams as well.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

What do you have for cameras? They feed into your Cerbo or they are a separate system?

I started removing more old cables tonight. The old battery monitor shunts and battery temp sensors. Such a mess with such long runs, but I don't want to leave a bunch of chopped off wires everywhere.

After pulling the sensors for fun I plugged them into the Cerbo all in the same location as the new ruuvi sensor that is supposedly calibrated from the factory. They aren't very close, but I'll leave them for a day or two to see if they equalize or if something is really that off.

No pictures.... Just wads of wires and cut zip ties.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

narfi wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:15 am After pulling the sensors for fun I plugged them into the Cerbo all in the same location as the new ruuvi sensor that is supposedly calibrated from the factory. They aren't very close, but I'll leave them for a day or two to see if they equalize or if something is really that off.
Well this morning it looks like they still have a pretty good spread, toyed around with the victron widgets enough to overlay all 4 sensors on one graph.

One probe is still wired and reporting directly to the multiplus (had been on the starboard battery bank) and then the 2 for the old battery monitor that had one on each battery bank now wired directly into the cerbo gx for testing and the brand new Bluetooth Ruuvi sensor which also gives humidity and pressure readings.

I 'think' the Ruuvi looks right and the multiplus is low and the two from the battery monitor are high. (thats also how it felt last night while working in there, I still had my jacket on, so pretty sure it wasn't close to 70)
Capture.PNG
Looks like we are hitting another cold spell, so I probably won't waste diesel heating till this weekend.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Cameras are not related to Cerbo. They are Reolink and I wish they had a zoom feature.