OB15 in NC - Flounder Drum Trout

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OB15 in NC - Flounder Drum Trout

Post by OlivierP »

Looks very good ! Is the bow shape better now ?

I love the reverse chine design of the OB15, I used the concept on my C17, but it also consumes quite some epoxy. 5"+ for chine flats is quite wide, you can maybe reduce the overhang from the sides (1" vs 1" 1/4 ?) or incline the chine flats towards the hull. I also partly filled the flats with scrap plywood to consume less epoxy.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Oh, I want the wide chine. High percentage of flatbottom skiffs around here. And I think it'll help with roll in the narrow boat.

Until yesterday, I was also planning to fill with scrap pieces randomly thrown in there. While I was cutting PVC, it occurred to me to use dowels (or something) for consistency, so I'll use up some molding that was in the toolshed when I bought this house 2 years ago and keep it symmetrical. Knew I should hang on to it. (I also realize that matching the fill wood inside a pair of huge epoxy beams that are additional to the stringer system is just stupid in a low hp boat)

And no, I really didn't get the bow right yet. I wanted to think I did but I know better, so I'll be at it again. I think I should pull the tips of the bottom out from behind the sides and that board across the end of my jig is in the way of pulling the bow down. Gotta mess with that while getting the jig up a foot or two to get under for duck taping.

When I left it last night I had talked myself into trimming the sheer flat and removing the droop that way, but I want to try to get Jacques' bow. He had a good reason for making it a bit tough here. He could have easily made it easier for builders, made it a 15'7"er instead of 15'2", but didn't.

Thing I would do different for the day: Should have thought about having to crawl under for duck taping before deciding that having a low jig would be nice while stitching the bottom.
Last edited by Buz on Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are heroes. Some others just want a pic
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
FB-11 Jean Bille in 2017, rebuilt '23

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

I finished reading through your C17 thread yesterday, OlivierP. Inspiring boat! Lots of great tips from you and others in that thread that I'll try to remember. I really need to start a list, they're so spread out here. Thanks for showing how you handled the droop. Are your chines level?

I believe I succumbed to some sort of brain freeze and just need to get on with it. I've seen what it does after all this fiddling. I've had this "problem" my whole life.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Thanks for the comments !

My chines are not horizontal but slightly angled downwards, I figured they would deflect the water better downwards this way.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Tacked with this droop still showing. I'm good with fixing it later. I grinned a lot today.

Finally, a low wind day tomorrow and we're getting to go outside! Rare thing here if you have less than a 30-sumthing footer. Hoping for my first bonita.

Today's lesson- Leave the zips loose longer. I will replace about half the ties three, 4 times. 300, not 100.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Fished. Touched welds. Cut zips. Smiled.

Lesson: think next time I'll cut to the inside of the lines rather than the out side. The CNC is dead-on. Taking a hair off the inside when they cut. If I add a 1/16" to both sides of a seam by cutting to the outside, across all three seams, then maybe (surely will) cut a bit fat somewhere, then maybe do that on two panels where they meet. Equals jammed panels/no gap.

Note- thread about molds as frames in "before you build" forum. Pink filler under "resin".

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Disaster of a day with chine fill. Posted to thread in the other PowerBoat forum.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Post here and with pictures. Pictures make a world of difference.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

You want to see the epoxy streaks? Really? Uh, ok. Tomorrow, I'll post em up.

Then will you please tell me what kind of tape you think I should use? I was hoping I'd know by tomorrow.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Fuzz, I thought this forum was for progress threads and the other forum was for questions about how to proceed. Am I wrong?

I thought successful boat builders check these threads more often than this. I'll keep checking.