RB16 new build KY 1st timer

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: RB16 new build KY 1st timer

Post by Dougster »

I had something like that on the LB22 and faired it out. Dunno if it was necessary or not. The biger gap areas can take a piece of fiberglass to use less Quickfair.

Dougster

TommyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TommyD »

Having trouble determining where the side fenders go on the hull? Any suggestions how far above the chine?
IMG_3185.jpeg

Certain I’ve read about it before but can’t find it now. TIA
Last edited by TommyD on Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TommyD »

So I put epoxy on the rest of the hull after glassing all the seems and using wide FG to cover the bottom and 6” past the chine. Filled the weave with micro balloons and resin and have faired the hull with quickfair.

Now wondering what prep I should follow for pennant primer?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/9odqbxiu ... zy8r2&dl=0

The instructions for fiberglass coated with epoxy resin looks like I just sand and continue with primer?

The instructions for epoxy coated wood says put down 3 more coats of epoxy?

The system 3 pennant primer says I should put down 3 coats of resin and sand before using the primer. Does that mean 3 additional coats or do I get credit for the one coat I’ve already put down above?

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Tommy,

Once you are satisfied with your fairing, go ahead and coat with the primer. Once your first coat of primer is applied, every little flaw will pop out at you. At this point you can go back with more Quick Fair and fix any issues. I like to then coat with an additional 2 coats of primer. Once the primer has cured, sand to your desired smoothness. (I personally don't go past 220 or 320 grit). Once sanding is complete, let the primer full cure/off gas for 5-6 days prior to paint. Make sure you clean the primer surface thoroughly prior to paint. I use microfiber cloths and make several passes with denatured alcohol. Don't touch the surface with bare hands once it is clean and ready for paint. Oils from your hands could cause imperfections in the paint finish.

Good luck!
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

TommyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TommyD »

Bump for Reid or anyone. RB18 has it at 1-3/4 above chine. Is that good?

At what point do you install? Before or after primer?

Reid thanks for your reply above
TommyD wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:08 pm Having trouble determining where the side fenders go on the hull? Any suggestions how far above the chine?

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Tommy,

I would think that the RB18 measurement would be sufficient (or at least get you in the ballpark).
I like to put strakes/keels/skegs on my hulls after the hull has been fiberglassed and faired and before the primer. This way if you happen to hit something and it pulls away from your hull you didn't do any damage to the underlying hull lamination. It makes this part kind of sacrificial.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

TommyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TommyD »

found it
The chine fender will protect the hull sides when coming alongside a dock and also provide lift and dynamic lateral stability at high speed. If you plan to go fast, add the chine fender.
You can make it wider. The lower face of the fender is located 2” (5 cm) above the DWL or 7” (175 mm) above the keel level. It is installed parallel to the DWL, epoxy glued to the hull
Last edited by TommyD on Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TommyD »

Reid where exactly do I need to create a sharp edge with putty? All the outside edges of the chine fender?

Strakes, chine steps and other skegs.
Post by jacquesmm »
If you build one of my designs with a built-in step chine, I recommend to add some putty to that corner and build a sharp edge.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

On a planing hull you want sharp edges (not knife sharp, maybe 1/16 to 1/32" radius) where the hull meets the transom, and places like the step chine where the design wants the water to break free of the hull. A knife edge would work, but it would get damaged easily and paint won't stay on sharp edges, so a slight round works well.
Hank

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Tommy,

Basically, anywhere water will be releasing from the hull. For example, on my FS18 I sharpened the bottom of the transom and the chines. The chines were sharpened from the transom and up to about 6 feet.

-Reid
- Steven Wright