C17 pilot house. Northwest overnight fishing weapon

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: C17 pilot house. Northwest overnight fishing weapon

Post by cape man »

I'd go for a blue or black....

Nice freaking fish killing, cozy overnighter, gas sipping, fun for all, custom designed, inexpensive, perfect for the location, build.

Congrats!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

PS... if you decide to add some horses, take a look at the Yamaha 70. Another sipper, and the lightest (by far) 70 out there. Your trade in value on the 50 is probably still strong...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

That's a good looking boat. Smoking fast build, too.

Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Doug N »

Gorgeous boat. Well done. So many good practical ideas. Wow. All done in a 17 foot boat. Very impressive.

forgeandfruition
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by forgeandfruition »

Thanks all for the kind words. One reason I was able to build so quick was keeping her simple, I don't have anything going through or under the sole. No chase tubes or fuel tanks. This sped up the build quite a bit, only foam (which was a bitch). However, I somewhat regret not puzzling out an under floor cooler. I still plan on building something in, there isn't much room to work with. I think above the splash well could be the ticket.

I also need to add some air vents through the sole, which would have been easier to figure out during the build. This spring the 48 degree water followed by my sun warmed shop had the sole bulging a scary amount. I drilled a hole (huge air release, smelt like the boat show :lol: ) I filled the hole with thickened epoxy, laid a fiber glass patch and re painted. Some gortex vets are in my future. Although I really don't want water getting through into my foam so I'm thinking having the vents raised up off the floor. Not sure yet.

I'm still glad I foamed, she feels solid when coming off waves and is much quieter than my Dads aluminum Hewes craft. He was pretty blown away how solid the boat feels, the Hewes craft is like a drum, so loud.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

That's interesting about the sole bulging up, I guess you only foamed certain sections and the problem happened where it was only air beneath? The foam is expensive and the designer readily stated that it isn't necessary to foam everything, so it makes sense that you strategically placed the foam. One place that is often overlooked is under the side decks; the idea being that if the boat fills with water it's better if it stays upright than turn over.

I like that you took ownership of the layout of the boat and made it work for you, I think you did a very good job of creating a unique but still attractive boat. Your level of workmanship is good, too. Congratulations on a job well done!
Hank

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very nice!!! Jeff

Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Doug N »

Every time I look at the pictures of your boat I'm really impressed on how you modified and made it work for yourselves, just as you wanted it. That really is the beauty of building your own.

forgeandfruition
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by forgeandfruition »

Thanks Doug!

Last weekend out of Newport Oregon.

She preformed great crossing the bar. we were cursing 14-20 mph in the ocean swell. My brother in law was with me, I slowed down for him to puke over the side. LOL. we clocked 5.5 hours on the motor (idling or ripping around) and used just under 6 gallons.

My next build will be a deep vee, but I know I'm going to miss this boats stability at rest, she's rock solid.
Attachments
IMG_1340 (1).jpg

cape man

Post by cape man »

Nice ling!