Panga 20 West Central Florida

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

Was able to get after it between 9 and 3:30 today.
Mounted the remaining stringer and finished all the "arms" for stations C, D, and E. Checked all frame spacing and level to reference again and had to make an 1/8" adjustment to E. The jig looks pretty good and is fairly rigid...able to handle all the normal bumps as you work around it.
Butt joined the two 3/8" bottom panels for overnite cure.

I would recommend to anyone who uses the precut kit to make special pieces to hold the outside-the-stringer frame pieces. If you cut pieces of regular ply like the top half of the frame drawings then you only have to make one setup rather than several if you use small patches (like I did!)
Second tip...measure everything and label each piece. Many pieces are VERY similiar to others but not exactly. There are two frames pieces for example that only differ by 1/8"..very easy to pick up the wrong one. I also found one small cutting error in the precut kit as well.

JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

Not much done today..added crossbraces to stations C,D, and E with a little extra to support the side panels when they are placed. Spliced the bow section of the bottom panels and first splice for the side panels. Left them to cure overnite.
Tomorrow is a big day..kerfing and setting the bottom panels!

Early observation...talk about scaling the Panga 20 down smaller was really foolish. As it begins to take shape it's getting easier to see that it IS A SMALL BOAT. I'm thinking a cross between a flats skiff and a bay boat..which is perfect for me. I wanted a small boat that was easy to handle on/off the trailer and enough bow to allow me to cross the bay when the wind picks up.

Dane_Ger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dane_Ger »

JAS . . . sounds like the build is getting off to a great start! I think I speak for us all when I say I hope you are taking pics and will be able to post them soon! :D

Keep up the good work!
Building the FL14

JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

I wish there was some easy way to automatically link a particular "builders" forum story to their particular gallery but I couldn't figure out how.
Here is the link to my gallery...I'll try and keep it current with the reports.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=271

Eric
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric »

Wow, those pics are great. Can I use the pics of the parts laid out in the driveway for my web site?

Eric
Eric Van Nostrand
Rainbow Boat Works

Dane_Ger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dane_Ger »

Thanks for posting the link to your gallery! Looks great!
Building the FL14

smilinmatt
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by smilinmatt »

Looks good. The pre-cut kit sure looks nice. I'd hate to lay a pre-cut kit out against my pieces. Comparatively, mine look like they were chewed out by a pack of trained rats. :lol:

JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

Eric..use any pics you like.

Smilin....I've used that pack of trained rats myself in earlier projects! This time I went with the automated rats....better use of the wood :lol:

JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

Big day..even though it was only 2 hours. Placed the complete starboard bottom panel (kerfed before placement) and began the process of bending the 3/8 "steel :) into it's final shape. Started at the transom..ok there..fit perfect at F and then began the bending at E. So far pretty easy. Next clamped the center side of D and the outside edge of C (so the bend is at a diagonal per the ruling lines Jacques showed). Next clamped the outside edge of D..so far so good. Next finished clamping the inside of C and began clamping down outside edge of C. Almost got it before I had to quit..about a 1/2" to go. At this point there is still alot of bending to do at B but I'm going to cleat and brace what I have shaped thus far before I go any further forward. I'm also taking the weekend off so it'll sit until Monday.
As you can see from the new pics I used a 2x3 down the centerline and along the outside edge to eliminate the buckle than forms with the stress. Seems to work pretty good. I now know a little better what Dynamo was experiencing and have that same feeling that once you remove the clamps it's going to explode into firewood!! 8O

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JimW »

JASmine wrote: once you remove the clamps it's going to explode into firewood!! 8O
Oh, we forgot to tell you about that didn't we?! :D
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19